Denial , homosexuality and religion.....

http://www.oocities.org/gallantcrow/denial.html even Freud thought this is unhealthy.....

thoughts?

Asked by older at 7:44 AM on Oct. 17, 2012 in Religious Debate

Level 68 (2,241,700 Credits)
  • Yup, anyone who honestly compares homosexuality to pedophilia or bestiality is obviously not worth the time.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I'm not going to read the article, I took enough psych classes in college to know that Freud was a crackpot!

Answer by missanc at 8:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I know I'm late to the convo, and I've only read the first ten responses, but I really think people miss the point that homosexuality is NOT just about actions. It's not just what people DO, it IS an identity, it is who you ARE. And any repression of that, any forced guilt for something you cannot change about yourself, is NOT healthy, whether we're talking about gender, race, sexuality, etc. When people confuse the characteristic with an action, when they associate guilt or blame with an orientation, as so often people do. Whether the actions are considered sinful aside (though you all know I don't believe they are), the OP, from what I understand, is talking about having to feel guilt for something you cannot change, having to deny who you are. Being told that who you are is wrong, being told that you are expected to not live life completely because of who you are, that IS damaging, no matter who tries to deny it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• So this convo isn't about the action part of homosexuality, it is about the identity part, from what I understand. The tired old argument, it's fine as long as they control themselves, doesn't apply. This is about being told that you SHOULD have to control yourself, deny yourself, the way that feeling shamed into denying the identity, etc, is harmful. Those people who loathe themselves for something they can't change. Instead of being pushed or "cured" by self denial and repression they should be encouraged to accept that part of themselves, to admit it. They should be helped to realize it's not some flaw, something they did wrong, something that is wrong about them. Because having to deny or repress any part of yourself like that IS wrong, IS unhealthy. I don't even like Freud and I can see that. This isn't an argument over the acceptability of the actions, this is a conversation about the *identity.*
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Respect and acceptance goes both ways. There's no one right way to deal with homosexuality and the decision of whether or not to act on those feelings. Each individual should decide without psychobabble telling them it's wrong.
    Just as homosexuals need support and acceptance to come out and be openly gay, those that don't want to act on it need support and acceptance in their choice.
    And to each his own, really. If we accept homosexuality because it harms no one, why can't we accept celibacy when it also harms no one?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• "momto, it does harm someone!!!again read the article, I believe Freud had a bit more knowledge than the likes of you or me for that matter...."

Freud has been proven wrong in several of his theories. And again, it doesn't apply to all individuals. My cousin, for example, is harming no one, he's happy, he feels very satisfied with his decision and his actions. So where's the harm in him deciding those are urges he doesn't want to act on?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• First question, why is this in religion? It has nothing to do with religion
    Secondly, who the hell is Anthony Angelozzi?
    It reads like a high school research paper
    As with Andy Warhol, one can be a homosexual without acting on it.
    It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with sin.
    Is that how you want to turn this article and question into a religioius one?
    Homosexual actions are sinful, regardless of your proclivity to those activities
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Thoughts? It's interesting how these are comments from people who aren't in that situation. Not acting on our natural urges isn't always a form of repression. As a married woman, I don't go around acting on any sexual desire for another man, and I'm not "repressing" myself. I'm acting in a way I deem moral and appropriate, which gives me a much deeper and meaningful satisfaction than any immediate, physical relief of those urges.
    Furthermore, each individual should act as he/she sees fit. No one should be bullied of forced to act against their conscience and their moral beliefs. This means that just as homosexuals who want to openly engage in relationships should be able to do so without anyone forcing them to celibacy, homosexuals who don't want to act on those urges because they feel it's wrong shouldn't be forced into gay relationships with false ideas that they're "in denial" or "repressing".

Continued...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• "obviously you did not read the article did you? it is unhealthy in more ways than one dear..."

I did read the article, I just don't agree with the points it makes. I think it fails to acknowledge all religions and cultures and it can't be applied to every individual. It's a vet good guide for western society with a Christian majority where homosexuals may experience a conflict and contradictory messages on what to do.
    But that's not the case for all societies. Not all societies view self-control as a form of repression that limits a person's freedom.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• "I am talking about homosexuality not urges of the kind you speak of...no one can force anyone to act any one given way, this article clearly states, how harmful it is....."

I don't disagree with that. That's absolutely right. No one should be forced to act in ways they think it's wrong or against their desires. Absolutely.
    That applies to both kinds of gays: those who wish to act on it and those who don't. If a person is convinced it's not right to do it it's very harmful to tell them they're in denial and repressing themselves. Just as it would be harmful for someone who doesn't think it's WTO gbto tell them to stop acting on it.
    Live and let live. There are people who are happy having decided not to act on those feelings. Why not respect that and let them do what they feel is best for them?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2012