what kind of dr

My dh has always gotten coldsores/fever blisters on his lips....he needs to see a dr to see what to do about them because they bother him a lot. What kind of dr should he see?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Health

• My family doctor prescribes an ointment for that. I'd say that a dermatologist would also be appropriate. Has he tried Blistex? that is over the counter and helps a lot.

Answer by Bmat at 10:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would just start with his regular primary care. He can give him any needed referals that most insurance companies require a refferal from your regular doctor anyhow
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• bmat-yes he has tried blistex, abreva, releev---they usually help. he is more looking for tips to prevent them and what causes them i guess. and maybe they have super strength kind of treatmet. i dont know.
    and darci...we dont have insurance anyhow...thats why i am asking. i want him to go to the right dr first off ya know.
    Anonymous

• I know that I had a friend who had a prescription for hers that she had to take everyday. If she forgot to take it, she'd get a really bad one. So, if he's good at remembering his vitamins everyday, maybe that would work for him.
    I get them too and they stink. Stress, sickness and certain foods can bring them about.
    A dermatologist may have insight into treatment, but I don't know that for sure. Maybe if you call a doctors office and tell them specifically what you want treatment for, they could steer you to the appropriate kind of doctor. Sorry I couldn't be more help. But good luck, I know it's a pain, so I feel for your husband
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2009