New born and BF

I BF my 4 day old daughter and I get worried im either doing it too much or not enough. is every 3 hours good? I feed her on each breast for 15 mins with a burp in between. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is happy it it great...

If she needs to nurse, do it on demand, when she needs it, and she will be encouraged that when she needs Mommy (for comfort, help to get to sleep, food), you are always there.

Good job nursing!!! it is SOO healthy for mama and baby if you can pull it off.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• it "is" great... sorry, typo.
    TXdanielly

• sounds fine. the best judge is whats coming out. if she's peeing and pooping regularly, she's fine. babies tend to go thru growth spurts often, and BF babies will tend to clusterfeed when the spurts come on. I thought I'd warn you so at about 3 weeks when she starts wanting to eat all the time you don't get freaked....then at 6 weeks...oh it's been so long I forget all of them, but they are fairly predictable. never assume that jsut bc the baby wants to eat a lot that she's not getting enough, relax and let the diapers tell you everything!
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it too much. At that age, there really is no set time frame to feed. My dr recommended that I feed on demand when my son was born and that's what I did (and still do to some extent) he let me know when he was hungry. At first it was usually every 2 hours but sometimes he would want to eat every hour and other times he wouldn't eat for hours. Now that he's 5 months old, he does have somewhat of a schedule but it can still vary sometimes. Breast milk is very easily digested so it goes through a lot quicker than formula does. Your dd will always let you know if she needs more to eat.
    beekergirl

Answer by beekergirl at 10:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• At that age, feed her whenever she wants. you will notice she goes through spurts where it seems all she wants to do is nurse, and that's normal!!! Those babes have tiny tiny tummies and BM is digested quickly. It can be every hour, or ever 3 hours, whatever babe wants, give it to her, she is adjusting big time, just like you.

As long as you are getting at least 6 wet diapers a day, you're golden.

I think it's pretty rare to over-feed a baby, they will probably turn away or pass out before that :)

Great job BFing mama!!!!

Also, you may want to read a GOOD breastfeeding book, like "the womanly art of breastfeeding", or contact your local LLL for support.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Just nurse her on demand, for as long or short as she wants. Even if she just ate. You're doing great.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have always nursed on demand, it was usually ever 2-3 hours. I never fed on both breasts though. I fed on one breast per feeding, which ensured the baby gets all the good hind milk :) your doing good mama. If she is wetting around 6 diaps a day and pooping you are good
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Well it's best to nurse on demand, for sure. It's really really hard not to worry about whether or not your making enough for them when you cant physically see or know exactly how much their getting. Over time you'll learn to trust your body. Dont use binkys or bottles and watch for her hunger cues. When she starts rooting around or sucking her fist etc, it's time to nurse. Stop watching the clock, nurse her on one side until she unlatches, and then offer the other breast. It's best to let her nurse on one side until she decides to be done because that way you can be sure she's getting the hind milk which takes a while to suck out.

I am like an OCD freak and had the HARDEST time nursing on demand for a long time. I was constantly told, while my baby wasnt gaining weight, and I had a low milk supply, that I needed to nurse on demand and stop watching the clock. I ignored these comments and continued to strictly nurse every 3
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• continued...

hours on the dot, five times a day, for ten minutes on each side. My daughter stopped gaining weight and I barely had any milk left. With the help of a lot of pumping, a lot of nursing, reglan and fenugreek I got my supply back up, and then read that scheduled feedings in a breastfed infant is one of the top reasons for failure to thrive in infants and low milk supply.

So take it from me, please!!! Cue-feed, forget the schedule for now. Most likely with time your baby will form some type of schedule of their own, but until then, if you want to be able to continue nursing, it's best to cue-feed.

Good luck :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Just look at the babys cues.....if she is fussy and rooting feed her. The baby will eat when she is hungary.......and stop nursing when she is full,
    SuperMommy0212

Answer by SuperMommy0212 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2009