I just dont get it.....

There are companies that are hiring with an okay starting wage, overtime, shift differential, benefits, etc.... People want a job, but I find that they want the job if they can only have it THEIR way - they only want to work when they want to work, they dont want to work overtime, what do you mean I dont get vacation until after a year of service? What ever happened to work ethic and being grateful that you even HAVE a job? Do you think America's work ethic has deteriorated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that when it comes to entry level jobs some people expect it to be a living wage and the thing is, it's not supposed to be a living wage for a person with kids. Entry level is for young single people who could have a roomate or live with the parents.

Actually, I think the problem is people have a distorted image of what a living wage is. IMO a living wage means you have gas, water, light, a roof and clothes, hopefully a phone. It does not mean you have cable with all the premium channels, a car payment on a 6 month old car w/ full coverage insurance, 2 cell phones and a landline, and a mortgage on a house that costs 6x's your old salary.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• To be blunt, Yes; and along with it our sense of personal responsibility; now it's every one else's fault.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I totally agree. I am a small business owner. Because my business is run from home I contract work out to people. They do the work at home in there time as they want to as long as they meet my deadline. They earn an average of $20 and hour. The number of hours does vary by project. The deadlines are more than reasonable. However, they can do this and still work a full time job! It took me more than 6 months to hire 2 people. My only requirement was the willingness to meet my deadline and my quality expectations. I provide PAID training for each project.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• ""There are companies that are hiring with an okay starting wage, overtime, shift differential, benefits, etc""

WHERE??????? Please let me know! All of our benefits were recently 'cut' at my place of employment.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 10:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• hey my sister in law is just like that, she has to get a job because her parents can not support her and her husband and there kids any more. she calls one day saying how hard it is to find a job, well there just not jobs that she wants to take. Utah has one of the lowest unemployment rates thus far so i am sure that there are jobs out there for her to do.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'm sorry lizajane, but you need to tell me where you live first. Won't do any good it it's not in your area.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I had to apply at McDonalds because we need extra income. They are always hiring because of their high turn over rate. There are always jobs, not great ones, maybe without benefits; but they come with a paycheck.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yes. Americans think they are ABOVE certain jobs that are minimum wage.
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• There are companies that are hiring with an okay starting wage, overtime, shift differential, benefits, etc....

Not where I live

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Sorry to hear that notpanicking ;(
    Anonymous