Can laptop keyboards be replaced?

I broke mine so I'm using a USB keyboard and it's driving me insane. The touchpad on this thing is going too...New computer or just replace the bad bits? I have a ton of music and pictures on this computer, I'd hate to see it go.

FreeForAll

Asked by FreeForAll at 11:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2012 in Technology

• The guy at Best Buy said you can't, but he wanted to sell me a new one. My key isn't popped or anything, just all scratched off on a few letters. I know how to type though, so I know what they are and won't bother trying for a repair. It's old anyhow.

Ehow says you can and gives instructions here:http://www.ehow.com/how_2165715_replace-keyboard-laptop.html
    I suppose you could check the website of your computer manufacturer to look for parts.

Good Luck.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I just had mine done it was only $50 I took it too a laptop store, the guy at Best Buy does not know what he is talking about. Billy spilled Chocolate milk on mine, he replaced it while I waited.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I think so
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Yes they can be replace dh replace his not long ago
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 12:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• They can be replaced - but if it is really out of date, it may be time to just replace it. Less of a headache, I guess.
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I'd get an external hard drive, transfer everything I wanted to save, and get a new computer. It's always a good idea to save that stuff to another place anyway ;o)
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Yes they can... we had to replace our grandson's keyboard... we looked online for new/refurbish ones
    and bought and had a local repair guy fix it... total for us was just under 100.00 that included buying the
    keyboard and having it replaced...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2012