Why is politics the biggest thing talked about on CafeMom?

Seems like thats all ppl are talking about, I was always told to keep politics to yourself... seems like that doesnt happen on this site . EVER.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Politics should be kept to yourself at the dinner table or a party...but here is supposed to be a "safe" place we can freely share ideas and I personally believe that discourse helps expand our horizons and possibly see things from another's POV...it may not change our position; but perhaps make it easier to see why someone else believes the way they do and help to find common ground.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't know girl, but I HATE it!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Because some women are excited that history was made, and some women are upset and angry that we have a black president.
    Anonymous

• It always doesn't have to do with race, that history was made....that we have a Bi-racial president. People are upset over some of the things going on because, as always, politics are complicated and things do not work out the way the presidential candidate "promised" they would. People are upset because of the economy and what the government wants to do, not because of the race of the president. For instance, this wonderful stimulus package isn't just issues in this specific country. Did you know that it also includes $27 million for aborions - in Mexico and Europe....first of all how are other countries and abortions going to stimulate OUR economy?
    Anonymous

• Whatever anon 8:47, and some people just can't keep race out of anything.

As for the OP's question. There are intelligent women on here who enjoy debating and discussing important issues. I have a degree in political science so why shouldn't I want to discuss politics? Yes it's true that at dinner parties, etc you should stay with safe topics and not discuss religion and politics, but you know what? If you don't want to talk about it then don't join in the discussion and certainly don't hang out in the politics and current events section...

Anonymous

• Wow, I can't believe some of these answers! Keeping it to yourself is why this country is in a fix. It is your responsiblity as an American citizen to be aware of an involved in the leadership of this country.

If you aren't willing to stand up for your beliefs who will?

Oh and anonymous, Obama is half black and half white. Get past the race thing. I am angry that someone with a questionalbe past and ZERO experience is in charge. It is like putting the baby in charge of the sitter and expecting everything to turn out great.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• poster here... Wasnt lookin to start ANOTHER agrument about race, please keep the race out of it. Simple question...
    Anonymous

• why does the color of obamas skin keep coming up?? why ladies why??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• OMG mrssundin, dont you understand you are adding fuel to the fire by even askng that. I dont want people to even MENTION anyones race.
    Anonymous

• Politics is talked about because it affects EVERYTHING we do in our lives. Our jobs, our homes, our children, our roads, our laws, EVERYTHING. It isn't just a bunch of old guys sitting around signing documents - it is LIFE. It affects us. And we have a responsibility to ourselves to stay informed and know what is going on, lest we become "spectators" to our own lives. Politics are important. That is why they are talked about.
    Anyway, its much better than talking about LIndsay Lohan and Paris Hilton all effing day.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009