Would you have been tempted to cash it? Tempted maybe but I would not have done it. Not worth the problems it would create.

Cheque book and pen (© Getty Images)

Student accidentally sent check for half a billion dollars

5 days ago

Some people might attempt to cash a check for half a billion dollars if it was mailed to them by accident, but not 22-year-old Allen Smith of Colmbus, Ga. Smith receives a monthly VA dependency check for college expenses because his father was a U.S. Air Force Veteran. No college costs that much, however, and realizing that the generous amount – more than $690,000,000 -- was a little more than the $650 he usually receives, Smith quickly returned the check to the VA officer at Fort Benning. The honest student's mother Patricia said, "I'm proud of him because if it were me and I was in his shoes I probably would have done the same thing." [Source]

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2012 in Money & Work

• The kid did the right thing. Besides, I don't think you could actually cash a check that large. And even if you could, you better not spend it, b/c they will catch their error sooner or later & you will have to pay it back.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Tempted? Absolutely. But it wouldn't have done any good. They would have realized they screwed up and wanted their money back. Wouldn't be worth the hassle to me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I wouldn't have cashed it. Only because I know I couldn't get away with it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• no, theres just no way you wouldnt get in trouble for that. the bank wouldnt let me deposit the check i got when my grandmother passed without calling the other bank & making me fill out forms...and it was less than $5K.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• A bank would never cash that. Any transaction over $10k sends up a flag in their auditing system.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I would not have cashed it. Could the money really help us out? yes, of course. But I would never get over the guilt.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Wow. I would definitely call them to find out what was up. But I wouldn't spend it, what if they realized the error and wanted it back?!?

Answer by missanc at 2:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I would have not catch it because I would think is a mistake and I would hate to return the money in the end
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• First off No, second at 10k Alarms sound even if it was for me. If it were for me I would not want it.
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2012