Is it correct to say that all religions have the same goal?

Question shamlessly stolen from this article:

The article gives the opinions of clergy from 2 different mainstream religions, and I think the differences in their answers alone speak volumes, but I'm not so much interested in what people think of their answers as how they'd answer the question for themselves.  It's there if you want to read it, though.

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2012 in Religious Debate

• The word 'all' almost never applies to any large group. I do think religion can aid in being more aware of kindness and compassion. Does this work for everyone, of course not. However, religion allows for greater opportunities to help others in need. People often turn to churches when they need help, there is an organized system that allows people to offer help. This can help some people become more caring and compassionate.

Also I do think we should take history and time periods into account when exploring past beliefs and examining our own spiritual beliefs.

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• If we are talking personally (like to find peace) then sure, maybe.

But if we are talking all religions as a whole? Then no. I don't think so.

Answer by theMOMmission at 4:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I don't think so.

Answer by Charlene4 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• all religions?? That encompasses alot. I'd say all Christian's have the same goal, to win souls, to build the Kingdom of God. There are so many variations on religion that I don't think that ALL of them or even most of them have that goal. There are lots of "religions" that are very self centered, and about furthering their own power.

Answer by robyann at 4:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I think there are common goals, such as the cultivation of virtues like compassion and selflessness. I think, ultimately, what matters is similar, however the language or contextual perception differs.

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Are you talking religions and in the organization or religion as in individuals who believe in what the religion is based on?

Answer by Dardenella at 5:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• no

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Without a doubt - NO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Well, even though my personal beliefs tell me that all gods are in some way a part of one Creator, I can't very well say that all religions have the same goal. There are so many different paths to follow, even if all those gods/goddesses were in some way a part of one greater being, I still can't say that all those religions have the same or even similar goals. There's too much of the human factor involved for that to be true.

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Is it correct to say that all religions have the same goal?  Can you honestly say they don't?  The main goal of all religions is "believe as I do or die."

Answer by witchqueen at 7:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2012