How do I get my 4yr old to really know her ABC and not just remember the song?

Need help teaching ABCs - seems that my daughter nows her song very well but thinks L M N O is one word or one letter!

ceci2009

Asked by ceci2009 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• flash cards. apple begins with a banana begins with b so on and so on, and/or make it a matching game.

kids that age need "fun" things. have fun with it! good luck.
    Anonymous

• Each week do one letter. Do daily activities, this could also help her prepare for school. For example, write a block letter of A. Then she can color it in, glue things to it (can be creative and use pasta for P, string for S, glitter for G.....see what I mean?) I did that when I taught preschool. Just concentrate on one letter a week. Find objects around the house that start with that letter as well and sound out the sound with her. Put the letter on the fridge for her to look at all the time. Just that letter, so there isn't too many others distracting her. The activities should be no longer than 10 or 15 minutes, unless she is really engages. Attention span isn't too long. You can find activity books at Walmart or maybe even a Dollar Store that are for this young age group. Sure a library also has alphabet books. Can get lucky and find a book for each letter.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My 4 year old absolutely loves playing some suggested activities we found in the CD booklet of an alphabet CD called Wee-phabet Songs With A Fun Twist, while we sing along to the fun, upbeat melodies that are on the CD. You should check out www.mrweeandboo.com and listen to some samples of the song (and you can even download the activities from there as well.) Hope this helps out! Good Luck!
    PeytonShay

Answer by PeytonShay at 11:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I do what Heidi suggested... I bought some preschool workbooks and every week I put up a new letter Big A little a and a new number and new color, and shape. Each week we talk about them and do work pages about them. My three year old absolutely loves it and looks forward doing the activities with me weekly. We also got these flash cards called Brain Quests... She loves those even more.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Me and dd practice writing out her letters. She was not interested in the flash cards. So I sound them out and she will write down what she things it is, If she is wrong I have her right the correct answer. She is doing great at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Building blocks with the alphabet and numbers on them is how my boys learned them. As they were building, we said, you're putting the "A" on top...or whatever.

Reading...as you're reading, point out letters to her.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Letter of the day (or week).
    Get letter shaped cookie cutters and use that letter while playing with playdoh.
    Fill a shallow pan with corn meal and draw that letter.
    Play "spot that letter" at the store and while reading books.
    Hopscotch with letters instead of numbers. Can't get outside? Make a hopscotch board with painter's masking tape on the floor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Buy the Leap Frog letter factory. Yes, this sounds lazy but it works really fast as well! No fighting or hasle. My younger kids knew all the letters and sounds in about a week from this DVD.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Eat through the alphabet. Apple, banana, corn, dumpling, and so forth. Word flash cards emphasing the first letters.

Answer by Bmat at 1:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I second the Letter Factory DVD. VERY good DVD for teaching the letters and beginning phonics as well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2009