At what age did your child start wearing deodorant?

For the past few days or so, I have been noticing a smell from my son (especially on PE days), when he gets home from school. I told him that I think it is time for him to start wearing deodorant. He got really upset and defensive saying that he is not a teenager yet (no idea why he thinks you don't start wearing deodorant until you are a teenager). Anyways, he is 8 and in 2nd grade. Is this normal?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2012 in General Parenting

• I know I didn't until I was 10-11, but I don't remember stinking or wanting to before then. My oldest is 7 an there have been times already where I wonder if its already time. I think it is a "when they need it" thing, not an age thing.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:26 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• 10-12
    Pretty much when they sat next to me and I flinched from the stank! they started using it.
    No body wants to be the smelly kid- school is hard enough as it is...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• DS was having to start using it last year on PE days and he was in Third grade at the time, so 8/9 I think is normal.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• My daughter started at about 10
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• My DD is 8.... she started wearing it this summer. Went together and picked out a scent she liked... it was a fun mother/daughter thing ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• My granddaughter is 9 and she's been wearing anti-perspirant for a yr now. Otherwise her body odor is bad. She bathes every day. The Dr. did a blood test and said her hormones were changing a little early but nothing to be alarmed about. My boys began wearing it around 8-10. My GS is 8 and he is developementally delayed. I don't forsee him needing it any time soon.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Yeah, I think my boys were 10-12 too. I agree, not good to be the smelly kid!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Puberty starts between 9-12 so I would guess it could become necessary any time around there! My son is 8 but I have not yet noticed a need... I am sure it is coming.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• At that age I would just make him take a shower.

Answer by louise2 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Wow that seems early but if he needs it he needs it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2012