How bad is is to go old school,natural prenatal care ?

I decided with this baby to go as natural as possible with little to no medical intervention,including but not limited to ultrasounds,CF testing,DS testing and so on.

fetal scope versus a doppler.
Basically have care that i feel what was good for our grandparents should be good for me.

Everyone feels just because a doctor says so or that there is all this testing means a perfect baby,i feel it puts mom and baby under more stress than care in the end of it.

I will be having a water/home birth also to avoid the propeganda a hospital pushes.

Now please no person attacks on anyone in this post, but instead state what route you took and why.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is no evidence that hospitals are safer anon, none at all. Infact the mortality outcomes tend to be the same, but there are higher intervention, instrumental delivery rates, and problems associated with a hospital births than out of hospital births. She never said she wasn't going to have someone there to help, just not a doctor. Last I checked CPM's and DEM's had tons of knowledge delivering babies lol.. an OB is only needed in case of a c/s or a high risk pregnancy. NOT for normal birth. We don't vaccinate either, and newborns shouldn't be vaccinated.

As for the OP. We are doing an unassisted homebirth. I have had shadow care with an OB and have had 2 ultrasounds. The 20 weeks was the only one we were going to do, but severe bleeding at 15.5 weeks made me need one then. It obviously wasn't a miscarriage and isn't going to effect the birth because it cleared up on its own thankfully.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i went the other route because i had HORRIBLE anxiety, but if it works for you then go for it :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I went to the hospital I think that it is safer to have the testing and ultrasounds. Would you not get the baby vaccines either? I mean if this is really what you want then go for it but I would really think about maybe getting someone with delivery back ground there with you what if something happened? Good Luck and God bless you and the baby.
    Anonymous

• I wanted to go as natural as possible through out my whole pregnancy, I had my mind set that that's what I was going to do. But.......... When it came time to have my monkey I couldn't handle the pain any longer for an hour and half I lasted after that I was all for the meds. I think whatever your comfortable doing is right!
    tinkerbellma21

Answer by tinkerbellma21 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would be looking for a midwife sweetie, and there is nothing wrong with what you want to do!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• (cont)
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "old school" version of birth! In Denmark and Netherlands where there is a hands off approach to birth their c/s rates AND infant mortality rates are remarkably lower than ours. Modern Medicine helps those who NEED it, but for low risk pregnancies hospitals and OBs generally cause more harm then good.

Good for you for choosing the best possible choice for you and your baby. It really is better to avoid hospitals unless needed! :) Good luck and congrats! Your birth will be as beautiful as you want it to be.

Oh we also didn't do any genetic testing with either pregnancy..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i agree it is better to avoid hospitals, our ancestors did it for YEARS... i would have loved for everything to be old school, they didnt know they were truely pregnant until 3 months :] i think i would have had a lot less anxiety if i did everything like my ancestors :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:29 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I'm too nervous and anxiety ridden to go that route so I knew before the pregnancy test said yes that I wanted all the drugs possible. I'm severly afraid of pain! I think it's great that women still want to give birth that way even with all the modern technology we have today. I think as long as you are getting prenatal treatment you should give birh wherever you want and however you want. I would definetly practice the breathing techniques and do the excersices that help your body prepare for it. I don't see why anyone should have anything negative, I think it's great. Good luck!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• GOOD FOR YOU MAMA! You are making the best choice for you and your baby, hospitals are for SICK people and as long as you and the baby are healthy, STAY OUT OF THE HOSPITAL, you arent sick, you are pregnant!

All the common interventions they perform in the hospital can lead to harmful side effects for mama and baby, the drugs PASS TO THE BABY and Im sorry, if we go 9 months trying to avoid harmful substances and then pump ourselves (and therefore our babies) full of every medication under the sun, well, that doesnt make much sense now does it???

Do your research mama and the more you learn the more you will realize you are making the right choice!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2009