Another reason to keep the uber-religious out of politics

Read about four cases where religious beliefs interfere with coherent thought in the field of science as it pertains to public policy making, and make an argument in favor of or against whether such beliefs should influence public policy and the future of our country.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 9:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2012 in Religious Debate

• There is never any reason for religion to be involved. There is a reason for ethics to be involved. An even bigger issue arises when a religion or group of religions claims sole ownership of the concept of ethics.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Religion has no place in government. Where is the separation of church and state?
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 11:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Where is the separation of church and state?

According to the article I read earlier - far stronger with Johnson than with Obama or Romney

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2012

• There is never any reason to keep anybody out of politics. We all have one vote. If someone tried to keep a certain race, gender or sexual orientation out of politics you would be screaming bloody murder. Someone's religious views are no different.
    Are there crazy people who know nothing of balance and do stupid things in the name of religion? Yes there are many many of them. BTW I'm not doing your homework for you and you are not my professor, don't give me a research assignment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• People have a right to their own beliefs and how they act on them. I'm all for seperation of church and state, but just like everyone else my beliefs do affect how i vote. However a lot of politicians say and do crazy things to just to be in office. I think real reform on lobbing (bribing) of our politicians would change how a lot of politians acted.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• You mean keep them out by not voting for them...right?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• The government was not established to make anyone's beliefs law. I can have my beliefs and still vote in ways that give others freedoms to believe and do as they please. We can choose to live our lives according to our beliefs and leave others the freedom to do the same. The government was NOT intended to be used in a way where beliefs are forced onto other people, especially where liberty and freedom is concerned in relation to the freedom of religion. The point of a democratic republic is NOT that the majority gets it's way and people just need to suck it up. Our government was intended to protect the minority from the majority, whether that majority is white or male or Christian. We've had to work some kinks out along the way, and with each step we get closer to what America should be and stands for. A candidate's religion should not matter and should not be used to make policy.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• going crazy Maybe we should start enforcing that certain education levels are necessary to run for office.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I don't think this is a "religious" issue, it's a "stupid" issue.

Lol, @ 3libras, education can fix ignorance but not stupidity.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• Seperation of church and state refers to keeping the government out of the religions of the people, not the other way around.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2012