attitude problem?

1. I was wondering if its normal for a 11mth old to show aggression such as hitting people when he is angry and nnot getting his way?Tonight I saw him get so mad he tried biting his hand, because i woudnt let him hit me.
2. What can I do to descipline him when he hits and help him display his anger in a better way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• redirect him. if he's hitting you when you're trying to keep him in your lap, tell him no,no, then put him down or go show him outside the window, if he can see the trees or put him down and let him go see something else...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It is PERFECTLY normal. Babies have the same emotions as us - which includes anger. He just doesn't know what to do with it. Hitting and biting is kind of a knee-jerk reaction, you know what I mean?? His brain is just WAY too immature to understand anger control, or manners, lol.

Don't get mad at him if he hits you and raise your voice saying NO! NO! or anything like that, I think that's totally counter-productive.

At this age, there is no way to "discipline" him because his brain lacks that kind of reasoning.

What you CAN do, is when he does this, gently stroke his arm (if that's what he is biting), or whatever part of you he hit, and softly say "gentle, be gentle", that type of stuff. Then redirect him, distract him, and do it over and over and over, cause it will take a while for him to mature to a level of self-control and understanding.

Good luck!!!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Oh, I also wanted to add that at this age it's definitely not an "attitude problem", your baby is simply discovering new emotions, and exploring them :) How else would they learn? :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2009