Should churches pay taxes?

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 8:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2012 in Religious Debate

• No, any entity that pays taxes is subject to the government in ways that a church should not be
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• No

A church is non-profit. No non-profit organization pays taxes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• YES! Without a doubt! As long as Religious Organizations continue to take an active role in the political system (lobbying DC, endorsing candidates, swaying voters, etc.) they should be taxed! As Pagan Clergy I have to pay taxes on any money I earn from services I preform. And our group pays taxes on funds donated - Why? Because we have to. Why does one religious group have to pay taxes but another does not? And why does ANYONE who is actively playing a part in the democratic process get to get off without contributing to that very government? Sorry... Churches are NOT non-profits, they make a huge profit. A large sum of which ends up going in to political issues - and should require taxes! It's also notable, that not all non-profits are tax free. I worked with a group called "Breaking Chains" which has since disbanded. But we were required to pay taxes on all donations, and it WAS a reg. non-profit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• Absolutely.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• yes,and they should be disclaiming where every cent goes
    They ARE a business

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• i find it interesting, though expected, those who say 'yes' vs those who say 'no'.
    there are arguments for both views, and depending on your 'church status', your argument may hold water or doesn't.
    personally, i don't have a set opinion about the taxes issue, other than its status quo..and as with all laws, if you feel it is wrong, work to change the law.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• No

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I'm fine with paying taxes, but the government would need to supplement the money that goes to paying for programs for those in need. This is not a small thing, my church coordinates with other area churches of different religions to provide food, clothes, school supplies, and many other needed things. This is all done with volunteers who aren't paid. Also I live in Michigan and area churches use the tax free donations to run 24 hour warming centers all winter long. Volunteers staff these centers 24hous a day, this is an excellent value for my community.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• The minute it sponsors a political candidate or tells a congregation how to vote, with the implied threat that it's what their chosen deity would want them to do, absolutely.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I am leaning towards this for churches and other non-profits. I believe that some of these mega churches and huge charities are not so much "non-profit". We have a church with a food court in it, its so huge-some property tax is probably in order for them. I understand the reasoning of both pro and con; but when I see the size of some of these organizations I think-yep, there should be some tax money coming out of there-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2012