Is it appropriate to give an Open House Baby Shower for my sister-in-law who is adopting a baby girl from china? She has been married a number of years and they have 3 of their own children, the youngest being 12. And, would you do it before or after the baby arrives?Thanks~~~GabbysOma

GabbysOma

Asked by GabbysOma at 11:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• YES it is and I would ask her- does she prefer having it with or before the baby arrives. And go from there! Have a Chinese theme!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think it's totally fine. A good friend of mine adopted a little girl from China and they had a baby shower for her. I would wait till after the baby gets here...therefore you know the size she is and people can meet her at the baby shower.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yeah, loving the whole chinese theme. And I would wait for baby to come too and make it a welcome party. My aunt had a shower when her son came, 10 years after my youngest niece. No one made a fuss over it. Like you have all that baby stuff after a decade.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yes....
    A couple of suggestions for you... keep it easy and make it a couple of months after they come home. This will give the whole family a little bit of time to get into a routine. It is MUCH different than having a new baby when you adopt internationally. I would make it a couple of hours long, but put it on the invites to come meet the new child, but don't stay longer than maybe 30 minutes.
    The reason why is because this child is going to be experiencing everything for the first time in her/his life. Also, it is very important that people understand that they need to allow the parents to do all the holding. It is vital to the child's bond with the parents.
    I have adopted from China myself. We had a shower/meet and greet one month home. Guests only stayed 30 minutes as per invite. Let me know if you have any questions since I've BTDT.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think its great! Its obviously been a long time since she had a child in the house and will need all the goodies again. I might do it before the baby comes and then wait til the family feels ready to do the meet and greet style visits.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2009