Not sure what to do...

I have a golden retriever. He is a great dog, especially with the kids, except when it's stormy. He hates storms, like a little kids following me around. He tries to jump up in my lap, if I am walking he will knock me down. He also does the same with the kids which scares me sometimes. If it is at night I have to get up with him and keep him settled until the storm passes. I was up with him almost 2 hours last night. I have tried several things, some calming drops, storm jacket nothing is working though. The vet has some tranquilizers , but they are 12 dollars each. I really can't afford that. I would average having to use them 10 to 15 dollars a month. If it were up to my dh we would have done something with him a while ago. My kids wouldn't understand it though. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2012 in Pets

• I would Google about it a lot .... good luck!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2012

• We give ours regular people Valium. Those are very cheap & work well. Have it filled at a regular pharmacy for like $1.00. That's the only thing that's worked for ours over the years. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Although I can't help you much in this area I still wish you the best of luck.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• Buy the pills..
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I'm against the medication route. This behavior is common among most pets. What I would recommend instead, is to buy a dog house for inside the home so that he has a "cave" to go hide in whenever it storms. Makes sure it's comfy with a padded bed inside and get him used to go there by putting him in there every time it storms. He sounds like a great dog and this should definitely not be seen as bad behavior. It's natural for animals to run from loud sounds and what may seem like a natural disaster in their little world.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Have you tried desensitizing him to storms? Any training at all to help with this fear? why no try to find a trainer that will come to your home and help you with this?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I agree with Dard. If you can't get the pills, I would put him in a crate with something that has your scent on it and play music near him.

Also, try giving him benadryl. That is what we used to give to my dog growing up. It worked great.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I have tried the jacket too FFA, no results.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• THUNDERJACKET.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 1:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• Amy I was using benadryl. I had gotten to where I was giving him 6 pills at a time and it wasn't even phasing him. It worked when he was younger and din't weigh as much. I'm afraid I will give him too much.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Oct. 18, 2012