Not sure what to do...

I have a golden retriever. He is a great dog, especially with the kids, except when it's stormy. He hates storms, like a little kids following me around. He tries to jump up in my lap, if I am walking he will knock me down. He also does the same with the kids which scares me sometimes. If it is at night I have to get up with him and keep him settled until the storm passes. I was up with him almost 2 hours last night. I have tried several things, some calming drops, storm jacket nothing is working though. The vet has some tranquilizers , but they are 12 dollars each. I really can't afford that. I would average having to use them 10 to 15 dollars a month. If it were up to my dh we would have done something with him a while ago. My kids wouldn't understand it though. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2012 in Pets

• Buy the pills
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I say get the pills for him, how do you afford to take him to the vet etc,, DO NOT get rid of this dog that is awesome in every other way! I would also ask the vet if he has any less expensive ones, or try pet meds. com
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I take him to the vet for shots etc. But an extra 100- 150 a month is a big chunk of change in my world. Just not sure if I can do that every month.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• The cost per pill seems very high to me,, and I am sure that some months you will not have storms,, I would google dog tranquilizers and do some research,, My dog has the same anxiety when it comes to thunder/firecrackers,, I got 10 pills for $25. I could have had the vet write a script and then ordered them from Pet Meds for 1/2 the price,, so call him and ask about cheaper alternatives.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• Thanks kimigogo.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I would definitely say get the pills. I would do anything and everything possible without even the consideration of getting rid of my furry family member.

If you are completely against the pills, perhaps play music or the TV loud when there is thunder...?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• It's not that I am against the pills, I just can't afford them. I have been looking around this morning to try and find something cheaper. I really don't want to get rid of him. I think I would miss him the most. I just can't handle this much more.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I am a nurse and have a had nurse friends give their dogs Benadryl! Just like kids :) A lot cheaper than pills from the vet.
    AmyMSNRN

Answer by AmyMSNRN at 11:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• 100 ct, 75 milligram Amiltryptiline (sp) for $20.99 at pet med com,, most likely he would need 2 pills if he is over 100lbs.. this is the exact same drug I give my dog.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:20 AM on Oct. 18, 2012

• Does he have a crate? Put him in when a storm is about to occur and cover the crate with and blanket. Give him a towel of something you have rubbed onyour body for the smell and turn on som soft music near his crate.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2012