Do you like to have a beer once in awhile or more?

I like to drink beer, my dh drinks beer I like it after work, weekends, special occasions you name we drink. I want to know I want to stop but I can't I have tried but an occasion comes up and I can not help myself but to have a beer. I know my dh is an alcoholic for sure, but me I have said NO before but it is hard. The other day my side was hurting...could that be a sign of something. I have been drinking for 25 yrears now. But I think I look good for my age I am 46 and my dh is 44.
Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• i think if you feel you and dh have a problem you should both get help. the occasional beer is fine though... maybe talk to your doctor see what s/he says?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• One can drink even once a year and be an alcoholic. If you can't resist it (or have a problem with resisting)--you have a problem. The absence of drinking is not the same as being sober. One can stop drinking for years and just be a "dry drunk". It is more than just saying "no" to a drink--it is dealing with your relationship to such substances. Learn more about addiction from such website as Hazelden, GrapeVine, Al-Anon, and others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• If you're just drinking on occasion, and you don't overdo it, I actually wouldn't worry about it. An occasional drink isn't bad for you. If you're getting bombed on these occasions or something, then yes, that would be hard on your body. I drink one beer or one drink...maybe once a month...and I enjoy it and I don't plan on stopping. I guess I could say "no" and don't feel like I "have" to, but I WANT to and I think its fine.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It sounds like you are taking the first step and saying you have or may have a problem and that is great! My dad is an alcoholic and has been since he was a in his early 20's. So I kinda know how the occations here and there or to relax after a long day thing goes. It will be really hard prosses to begin but I think the best thing to do would be to call all your local support groups and programs and see what each has to say and offer and then talk your dh about how your feeling and what your thinking about with the drinking. People say taking your self out of the situation where any sort of alcohol is around is best, so your not tempted for just that one sip or drink. I know its way easier said than done but you have to want to do it with your heart and mind first. Im not saying that you dont im just saying that you get the best results that way. And with love and support you CAN do it! Best of luck to you!!
    MammaLacey234

Answer by MammaLacey234 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2009