Do you get along with your MIL?

My MIL and I did not get along while my husband and I were dating and engaged. In fact, that is about the biggest understatement of the millenium! But once her dear son and I got married things got a bit better. Once I had her first grandbaby, they were amazing. I mean we get along great. Well she recently guilted my dear hubby into leaving Active Duty Air Force and going reserve and moving home. So he did and now we are temporarily living with my in laws until we find our own place. The woman in driving me insane! Everything I do is wrong! So my question is do you get along with your MIL and why/why not?

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 12:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• NO because she is CONTROLLING! Ugh! She's constantly dictating to my husband what he should do with his life (it's ranged from WORM FARMER to nurse's aid). Now, I'm a strong-minded woman, and it already bothers me that she did so, but, yes, I realize that he is her son, and it's what mothers do. Then she decided she was going to tell ME what I should do with MY life. What?! Not your business, woman! lol. Argh. Plus, she's always telling us how we should save money (we're two of the most frugal people on Earth already), when she blows her money on the most stupid crap. I don't mind suggestions, but not from a nosy hypocrite.

Sorry ... venting?? :P
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yes we do. There are times when she try to give me advice or try to tell me certain things that I feel she's out of line on telling me, I either ignore it or be more Thanks but no Thank you. Kwim?

I think it's being under the same roof with her and seeing her daily and having to interact with her that's driving you insane...lol.

I know my MIL and I get along almost the entire time she was staying with us. But damn...the last week she was here...made me sigh a relief she went home.
    starbucks81

Answer by starbucks81 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• No.She is a lazy,deadbeat. She doesn't do much with her life and is not educated,honest,reliable or has goals. I just do not talk to her.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I know exactly what your going through. I got pregnant and had our little boy b4 we got married and she kept on asking if my husband was really the father. She called me a whore, slut, and a bunch of other names untill the day we got married. She tried to talk him out of it but it seems like the minute we said I do she started being nice. But as you said we had issues and had to move in with her for a little while and I just couldn't do anything right. in June we moved 100 miles away from her. Now we're back to getting along. All except the fact that she's mad about the fact that she can't see her grandkids every day like she used to. But she drives me NUTS!
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My MIL and I were good friends until after I had my first daughter..
    But a month after I had my oldest, MIL found out FIL had been cheating on her for 3 years.. MIL turned into an alcoholic and a pill popper.. Leaned on me waaaaay too much for support- to the point where it began destroying my relationship with her son.. I started pulling back and cutting ties with her outside of family visits... She started calling me just to be a bitch and blame me for everything wrong in her life....
    And the war was on..
    So no, I do not get along with my MIL. She needs to take responsibility for the crap she's said and done and actually give an apology for it all. Until then, I won't answer her with more than two words, in a rather curt tone..
    But of course she's a drunk, so she pleads ignorance to the shit she's done.. Pretends like she has no clue about any of it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My MIL lives 100yrd from me!! We moved in with her after our daughter was born, while we were doing renovations, 2 mo into it she gets into our conversation like she had any input about what we should be discussing Boldly, I couldnt let it go so When the oppertunity came an we were alone, I said,Please try an stay out of our BUIS. She went Berzerk I Knew she wasnt very tackful, but we moved into a hotel an she's never been inside my home other than the time she steped in to take a look an very loudly, I said Your Not welcome here! 4yrs ago. We pass an rePass because I do have tact an no how to conduct myself an refuse to have trash around me!
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 1:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I was never been comfortable with my mother-in-law so i cant say if i do get along with her or not. But there are things that I dont like about her and there are things I think she would do or wouldnt do. In fact I think she wants people to kiss her ass and would be happy if my husband and I were to divorce or if he were to have an affire I think she wouldnt care if he hurts me or not but I also chose not to get get along with her cause I cant stand the sight of her or her voice. There are things she has done in the past that I surely think is a little odd so please dont think Im just doing it cause she's his mother.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yes & no. My MIL seems to think her ideas are the only ones that matter and if she says this is how something should be done.. Then she MUST be right. Lol. She tends to try to control holidays and EVERY mother day we have to spend with her... my husband is 23, almost 24.. It's time to cut the cord & realize I want to spend mothers day being a mother to my kids!!
    But I must give her credit. She did raise the most amazing man I have ever met.

Ladies, I know MIL's can be annoying (understatement) but think of all the reasons you love your husband & remember she's mostly responsible for who he is!!! Mothers have a huge role in their son's life!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My question is why would a man marry a female his mother hated?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• NO, enough said, LOL!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2009