is this wrong?

My baby will be a year old in about 3wks!He can hold his own bottle, but sometimes I still do it for him.Should I stop?Am I holding him back in any kind of way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think it's "wrong", a breastfeeding mother would still hold her baby when she nurses, no matter what age. Think of it as a bonding time between you two where you can just cuddle your baby and enjoy the moment.

However, I do think they recommend getting rid of the bottle at around 1 years? I'm not sure as I didn't use bottles :P

So no, I don't think it's wrong, he's just a baby! :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Not wrong at all. :) It's actually great. Many mothers are in a rush for their children to hold their own bottles. Makes me sad. I nursed, so don't have experience but if I did bottle feed, I would still hold the bottle and snuggle during feedings.

It's recommend to wean from the bottle around a year, and by 15-18 months because it can cause issues with teeth... but don't force it obviously. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• oh well he hates his bottle(I dont force feed), he eats when he wants it.I dont think i'll have too big a problem with gettin rid of the bottle!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• hehe.. you could always start a sippy now if you want, there is no harm in having formula or breast milk in a sippy cup to make a transition smoother you know?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i'm not sure he likes that nasty stuff either lol!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It is easier to break them from a bottle if they do not hold it. Holding a bottle is not a milestone! I know breastfed babies who were holding the boob at less than a month...LOL
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Some mother are indeed eager for their babies to move to the "next step." I don't think it's because they want their kids to grow up too quickly. I think it is because they're worried their kids might fall behind the "average, what are they supposed to be doing at this age and is my kid falling behind everyone else?!" panic. I think that you should neither push them to grow up too quickly but yet not baby them to the point that they don't want to progress to their proper stage either. When my son is capable of holding his own bottle, I will encourage him to hold it. If he doesn't like his bottle..yay for me! A common dilemma solved and on with the sippy cup. My parents were relieved when I threw my bottle across the room and never wanted it again lol. Same with my pacifier. Your son might be hinting to you that he has mastered the bottle and is ready for the next step.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• lol! thats pretty funny hun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son holds his own bottle, but once in a while, I just want that connection ,(especially for the random middle of night feedings). So sometimes I do too. :)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 1:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2009