How to keep your 2 year in bed at night????

I have a wonderful 2 year old daughter. She does stay in bed all night, but she does not want to stay in bed when put to bed. She is in a toddler bed. We have tried everything to get to to stay in her bed at night. We have elimated naps, shortened naps, and everything else to no avail. This is been going on for about 5 months, I am at my wits end, help, any advice would help at this point. Yes, we do have a consistent night time routine, but it is like she just won't stay in bed, even know she is so tired.

jennkmcd

Asked by jennkmcd at 12:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's probably afraid she's going to miss something. My daughter was the same way. All I can tell you is be consistant and patient. She will get the idea. It is easier if you all go to bed at the same time, but I realize you can't always do that. Can you sit with her until she falls asleep? Maybe rub her back, read to her, or sing to her? Girl, I did it all with mine when she was little. Patience.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I always read to my wee ones to help them settle down I also make sure they have calming cuddling time with mom and dad, this means settling down as a family sitting on the couch cuddling, laying and resting maybe read together as a family then a book or two in her room. Make sure she is not sitting up, but laying. I find that kids have a harder time sleeping or staying down if they go from excited activities to suddenly bed time. Take a bath, then cuddling time, then reading the sleep time will help. My two now three likes the door closed which is odd but you might want to put up a gate or possibly offer to close the door.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Put a gate in her door. Tell her its to keep her safe and that you can hear her if she really needs you, but she has to sleep in her own room. She may fall asleep in the doorway a few nights or any other place in her room besides her bed, but she will learn to stay in her bed after a while. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 1:29 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• When my son was 2, he still would not sleep through the night. I had it at that point and needed sleep. So, I put up 2 gates (one on top of the other), because he was a climber. I swear, that child learned to dress himself, among numerous things from that period of time. I just made sure that the room was safe and let him do whatever he wanted ( and it wasn't sleep). He finally slept through the night at 3. We had a bedtime routine too - bath, books, bed. which I'm not sure helped him but it did for my sanity.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 5:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I had to close my son door to get him to stay in his room and that worked until he figured out how to open the door. So I got one the door knob locks to put on the inside door knob of his room. It sounds so mean to lock your child in their room but it really does work. every night I would sing to my son then read him a book and say good night. Then I would shut his door until he fell asleep. always open the door in case of a fire. Some nights it would take him 5 minutes to fall asleep and other times it would take 45 minutes. The important thing is to be consistent and patient. Also be sure that your child's room is child proof. Good luck!

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 9:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I dunno girl...my issue is the opposite. He stays in when put to bed but at some point during the nigiht, he's in our room (in the dark) wanting to be next to Daddy... we've been letting him stay but I'm tired of it. So, we're gonna be getting up to put him back to bed...
    djmommy2

Answer by djmommy2 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009