So when did pantihose become obsolete? (s/o)

I grew up in the 60's and 70's , always wore pantihose when we dressed up (tights when we were kids) and when we went to work. It would have been inappropriate to go to work without them. Wore them all through the 80's. Not with sundresses, or very casual dresses, but always when I dressed up or had a professional appointment.

I still do. As I said in a previous post. I like the way they shape my legs, make my tummy look a little lighter, and my legs are very pale, so they can give them a touch of color.

Now I live in Los Angeles, so it's never been totally unusual for people to skip them...except for when doing business...but I didn't realize that they'd become nearly obsolete, like hat pins, pantaloons and corsets....well, maybe not corsets, they seem to be making a comeback.

So does anyone else wear them? Or should I give it up and throw them away? No seriously.....

ohwrite

Asked by ohwrite at 10:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• When? I'd say about 1999.
    I think some workplaces should make them mandatory. I don't need to look at your nasty ass cracked heels while I'm making my bank deposit.
    Also, there is something to be said for wearing proper undergarments when wearing formal wear. The right bra and a pair of control top pantyhose makes everything fit better.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I think they started to tail off around the time when women realized that they could be contributing to the yeast infections they were getting.

Personally, I hated the things because I am tall and it was nearly impossible to find tights that would stay up. I hated having a gusset at mid-thigh level by mid-morning.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I am SO happy they've gone out of fashion.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I wear stockings, mainly because my husband likes them, but not pantyhose

Answer by missanc at 10:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I hate them and haven't worn them in years. I resented the fact that my mom made me wear them.

Hose with garter belts that match the corset are more popular now and mostly for naughty play.

However, don't feel bad, my SIL is still old school and tries to wear them with skirts and dresses.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• About the mid 90's
    tights are ok in the winter especially when wearing wearing shorts or short skirts in the winter months

do not throw them away
    look into spray tans and spanx for the instances suggested

they serve their place but for the most part we have become a bit more relaxed in regards to fashion
    for comparison- the 50's vs 60's
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I still wear them in the cooler weather. Not in summer. I wear nothing but sandals in warm weather, but I can't stand to wear my other shoes without hose, and besides that, my feet get cold!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I wear them. If feel undressed if I am in a dress without them. It is just WRONG lol
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I haven't worn them since I worked at a job that required them, 16 years ago.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2012

• I am going to the black belt gala for our taekwondo school in December, and it's a formal event. I have been trying to decide if I should spray tan or something. I always have bruises all over my legs, but so do all of us.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2012