Schedule/Routine

Just out of curiosity... I would like to know if it's too early for an 11 week old to be on a routine? I'm trying to get my daughter on a schedule but it's not working out so well and wanted to see if anyone else was able to get up a routine at this age. Also, would it be too much for an 11 week old to be eating 4-5 ounces every 2.5 -3 hours.. that seems a bit much to me.

KristiNicole09

Asked by KristiNicole09 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's never too early. My son has been on a routine since 6 weeks. We wake up between 7:30-8am and he eats. Then he eats again around 10am and takes a nap until 12. Then we play. He eats again around 2pm and takes another nap. He sleeps until about 4pm and wakes up and eats. Then he eats again around 6pm then at 8 and then again around 10 and falls asleep around 10:30. Inbetween feedings we play, change his diaper, chatter with him and bathe him etc. I still do things "on demand" however. Every once and a while he'll be hungry when it's not the usual time or want to sleep a little extra and that's fine. He's been sleeping through the night (10:30-7:30) and every once and a while needs to get up around 5am for a snack then goes back to sleep. It's not something you can force on them. My son kinda set his schedule on his own. He eats as much as your DD does.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• well let her eat.As long as she doesnt throw it up its fine! let her feeding schedule help you create a routine.Keep it the same times everydy.It works for a while, but it may not always be consistent.It wasnt for mine>I also heard not to let the baby go more than 4hrs without eating until after3mths.Something about their suger drops so its harder for them to wake up.So wake her up in the middle of the night for every 4 hrs. so you can get some rest to!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• That's a little reassuring. My DD seems to wake up anytime between 6-8, although it's generally 7-7:30 then eats again around 10 or 11. I'm trying to get her on a better schedule.. however she has her own mind when it comes to taking naps.. I can never get her to take on when I want her to.. she does it on her own.. making a schedule nearly impossible right now
    KristiNicole09

Answer by KristiNicole09 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I would say not so much exact schedule as a routine will develop. Do the same things in the same order each day and the times will fall into place. It seems like you've got something started. And for the naps, make sure she is tired. Do some tummy time, play with some toys, take a walk around your yard (weather permitting), and then do your sleep routine. It will all fall into place for you in time.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Let her be on her schedule. Don't force her into anything. Get yourself on a schedule, waking, eating, sleeping, and she will naturaly fall along side. Give it time. She has only be out for just a little while, don't make her grow up already.

Feed the kid whenever she is hungry, don't worry about how much it is. Make sure she is really hungry, not poopy or gassy or wet. Then if everything else is taken care of feed her.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 2:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i pretty much had my daughter on routine from day 1..now i say routine, as in we did the same things in the same order every day..wasnt always at the EXACT time..but we did it in the same order..i dont think theres any problems with being like that..helps the kids feel at ease because they learn what to expect next..they know whats comin..and how could that be bad?? exactly!! it cant! so yaa im all for it!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I stressed out about trying to get my son on a a routine for weeks before I went back to work.It seems like he pretty much did it on his own when he was about 12 weeks.I don't think that is too much to feed as long as they keep it down.
    Derekt1

Answer by Derekt1 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2009