SS was invited to party for girl turning 6

I guess I'm expected to bring a gift? What price range would you go for this? Do you think a stuffed animal gift card holder with a B&N card is a bad idea? HELP!!! (P.S. Girl is in his class, I don't even know her last name, or what she looks like........but he really wants to go.......so I guess I'm stuck calling and telling them he'll come.) I've never had to do this party thing before, so please, what do I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh, and I'll ask tomorrow when I call, but is it typical for them to ask the parents to stay?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Gift card is good, but make it a Walmart or Target gift card, unless you know the girl is into books. More choices at the other stores. Or maybe a gift certificate to Chuck E. Cheese or some place like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Yes, parents stay. I had a party at McDonald's for my 6 year old daughter. A dad dropped off his kid who ran amuck. Just common courtesy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I usually spend $10-$15 per gift when I go to birthday parties. As far as what to get, I don't really know, I have a boy and always feel lost in the girl aisles of the toy department! But you could go for a board game appropriate for the age range and always include a gift reciept. And ask the parents when you RSVP if they want parents to stay or just drop off and pick up. That way you know for sure.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Ok, if parents stay, what do they do? Is it rude to bring a book to bring?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• you are too cute :] okay well i have a GOOD memory and i remember my 5 year old birthday, it was beauty and the beast and a gift card is fine and parents so have to stay, im sorry! i know i wouldnt want to stay either! i got a lot of gift cards actually, and an easy bake oven LMAO! (im 21 now btw)
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• honestly i would just pretend to get along with the other parents, i feel bring a book would make the other parents feel like you're too good for them KWIM? you can make up any old excuse to leave early as long as you get you SS to agree, he has tee ball or something you know?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Get her anything Hannah Montanna and your son will be Golden...My daughter is 6 and all the girls are obsessed with Hannah. Or ask your son what she likes...he will most likely know. As far as staying for the party, my experience is that about half of the parents stay the whole time, the others just a few minutes at the begining and make sure to be there promptly when its over.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 1:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Go ahead and bring a book if you plan to stay...but keep in mind this is a great oppurtunity to get to know the parents of the kids that go to school with your son. It never hurts to figure out who you like and dislike at a young age...so you can help him (your son) to choose appropriate friends.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 1:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Every party my kids have gone to, parents stayed. I wouldn't bring a book, though, it might make you seem kind of snobby. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, I'd have a book to read in the grocery check out lane if I thought I could get away with it...lol. But a book is something very....individual. Putting a book in front of your face is kind of like saying "I dont like you. Leave me alone. I'm here but I don't want to be." Just make nice with the other parents, you'll probably only be there a couple of hours. As for the gift card, at 6, I'd go with one from Walmart or Toys R Us or something. Something where she can pick books, toys, clothes, whatever she is into.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2009