For those that do homeschooling

I asked a question about homeschooling a few days ago. Well I want to know how you went about starting and why you decided to homeschool and did you feel that you and the child would miss out? I really really really want to homeschool my 2nd grader I mean really want to but then when I get to thinking a little part of me thinks twice about it because I will miss out on class pics and year books then I have a dd that will start kindergarden next year so a part of me thinks twice because I don't know that I want to miss out on the first day of kindergarden and stuff. But there is still a big part that wants to do it until I think of the first day of kindergarden and year books and stuff.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't homeschool but I have lots of friends that do. They do it because it's what works best for their family. They don't think about things they are missing, they focus on the positive things and the knowledge that what they are doing is best for their child. As long as you are doing what you think is best, the rest is really insignificant

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• Pay close attention to what you typed. You said you are worrying about what you will miss out on if you don't send them to public school. You aren't worried about what they will miss, but what you will miss. Why are you more worried about what memories you won't be creating for yourself instead of thinking about all the wonderful memories you will be creating together while homeschooling?
    sha_lyn68

Answer by sha_lyn68 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• Theres a great group on here for homeschoolers  http://www.cafemom.com/group/699

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• Honestly, my kids don't miss anything that went with public school, and neither do I. The benefits of homeschooling, for us, far outweigh anything the public school could have given them. We have more time together, and it's quality time - no frustration because they've spent 6 hours in class and now have another 3 hours of homework. They are learning more. They actually have more friends now, and more time with those friends, than they did in public school. I take my own pictures of them for "school pictures" - granted, I am a photographer as well as writer, but you could still go to a photographer, if you don't feel you're capable of taking quality pictures for that purpose. Yearbooks? I have mine...collecting dust and taking up space. I never even look at them. So why would I, or they, feel like they're missing that? You'll still have a first day of Kindergarten - and you'll get to be there for it!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2012