Would this work?

Do you ever take a sports practice away from your kid for misbehaving? We have always felt that if we do that it takes it out on the other players (hurts the team) but our kid knows that. She knows we won't do that and when we have threatened to she brings what we have said up. Dr. Phil says know their currency, meaning take away what matters to them. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• We never take away sports practice. We take away the phone, xbox, going out, etc. I think sports is good clean fun that I want him involved in. I wish he had practice everyday!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• That wouldn't work for my kids, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it would. I'm not the teams parent, I'm my child's parent. If that is what works for her, you probably wouldn't have to do it more than once

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I would only consider doing that if the misbehavior was team-related. She has a responsibility to the team, which is an important lesson, and the exercise is more likely to enable good behavior than a lack of exercise.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I would make it clear that sports are both a privilege and a responsibility. It's a privilege to play and she has to earn that privilege, and SHE has the responsibility to her team mates to fulfill whatever requirements are set to be able to play. If sports are important to her, that may be the thing that works.

When it came to grades my boys knew that extra-curricular activities were only allowed if they kept their grades up. Our schools will take them off the team if their grades aren't good enough, so why shouldn't parents have the same leverage.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• That is exactly what I do. I know what matters most to my daughter and I use that. These days you have to use everything you can teachers, church groups, friends, family to keep kids on track. Call the coach and explain what is going on and that you intend to pull her out of the team is A or B doesn't happen. Maybe if the Coach is also on your side pressuring her to straighten up - well it can only help. Good luck.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2012