Kids getting rooked for school parties?

We had actual "parties" when I was in school. The paper valentines, the sweets, a few games. ..Ours gets....a "heart healthy" something or other. Good grief. I understand doing healthy, but at least let them have a little fun.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our schools still have loads of candy cookies punch etc., many schools are moving to a healthier based menu because parent groups have formed to make rules about foods served. Our school has a cafeteria menu that is like that but its stops at the cafeteria we still let our kids enjoy the parties at school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• We still have parties with some candy and cookies, although they do like some healthy snacks as well. I know that one reason is because we have students with peanut allergies and there are many food they can not eat.

Also, think about kids be hyped up on sugar and sweets. If you have 20 kids all hyped up on sugar it might be a little harder to control.

As far as fun goes, the younger kids in our school still have parties and hand out cards and play games. The older kids don't really get parties because of all the testing and things they have going on.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My dd's school has parties everybody in the class is to bring back their decorated bag with a juice box, a little Debbie Snack Cake, a small piece of candy and a bag of chips or pretzels. No they don't get their bag. they play a musical chair type game. All the chairs have a bag under it. The teachers make sure nobody gets their bag. They also have pajama day. With Valentine day card. The kids love it.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My SDs teacher sent home a notice last week saying that since V-day falls on a saturday this year, they are not going to do valentines. They are going to have a small party on Friday and make things in the classroom for each other. The teachers thinks that valentines are a waste of time and money for the parents..and that the kids never read them anyway so its just another peice of paper to bring home and get thrown in the trash. Makes sense to me, I agree with her. My mother thinks it awful that the kids arent going to have that part of this holiday.. but I think valentines day is a silly holiday that I NEVER celebrate anyway.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 9:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My kids eat more junk food at school then they do at home. My kindergartener has snacks every day. We rotate bringing the snack and it's supposed to be "nutritious" but more often then not it is cookies and juice cocktail (I always bring something semi-nutritious that is in our budget and 100% juice). Then when holidays come around they come home with bags filled with cookies, cupcakes and candy. They are always doing fundraisers that sell suckers or chips & soda. Their lunches (which we get for free from the government) come with some kind of cookie most of the time and more often then not are pizza or spaghetti.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my daughter's school is doing goodies and valentines but not necessarily an "all day" party deal like when we were young. they had to have the valentines in last week to make sure there was enough time to file them into the appropriate bags.
    KarenLynny

Answer by KarenLynny at 11:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• our school does the rotating snack thing too. they say "healthy" snacks but half the time people send in fruit snacks!! makes me mad-same thing happened with preschool-I try hard to find a nutritious and healthy snack and only 100% juice and others send fruit snacks and hawaiian punch!!
    KarenLynny

Answer by KarenLynny at 11:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son is having the normal v-day party at school. His teacher is even going to buy pizza for the class....but to be honest.....I wouldn't mind if she hadn't planned any party at all. I'm glad she is..but if she didn't, I feel like I could still provide my son with a GREAT v-day.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My daughters school has a "Spring party" they still get all the cookies, candy, juice and chips. The party is at the end of the day
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2009