help

my 5 mo old DD is sick for the first time...im doing humidifier, vicks baby rub, nose drops and tylenol...any other suggestions or tips? i feel terrible that i cant help her

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 5m old is sick too. she has been for the past month with a cold. that comes and goes. we took her to the doc bc it was getting worse. they gave her a Nebulizer (spelling) and they told us to give her tylenol. we just got a humidfier and it seems to work. we put the Kaz inhalinate made my vicks. I am also getting sick . so the humidifer is working for me too.
    just let her sleep and keep doing what ur doing. theres really not much u can do. they have to fight it. i know its heartbreaking to watch ur little one go thru this but docs will say they need to build there immunity to things
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Our pediatrician told us to use a vaporizor rather than a humidifier. The vaporizor gives off warm steam rather than cold, damp air from a humidifier. The steam helps clear out the baby's nose.

You can stand in the bathroom with a hot shower running. This works too. Run a hot shower to fill the bathroom up with steam. Stand in there for 10 minutes to losen the snot. This also helps to open up the air passages.

We also put "Ocean" saline drops in his nose and use the nasel aspirator to get the gunk out.

Good Luck! I hope that she gets better soon.
    LauraSladicka

Answer by LauraSladicka at 1:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Don't use Vicks, there have been recent studies showing it is harmful, especially to little babies. Love love love her, breastfeed her often if you are nursing. use a bulb suctioner to get all the goobery gunk out of her nose to help her breathe. If you are nursing you can squirt a little breastmilk into her nose to help clear away some of the mucus if it is sticky. Either sleep with her to keep an eye on her or incline her crib mattress slightly so she can sit more upright and be able to clear out her nose with gravity. Sit in a bathroom with a hot shower going so the warm air clears her chest. And I have found that Motrin works better than tylenol.

sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2009