Pets and Kids

I cannot count how many times I read on here of anti animal lovers making such a fuss about people and pets and yes, children and even new born. I will say however, pets should never really be left unattended around smaller children, but for the most part... I think these other groups of folks *anti pet lovers* need to realize the majority in population of families that own pets and have children, the number is greater than those that have no pets. This alone should say something. Pets are not that bad, if you don't like them that is fine, but I don't think everyone should not have one cuz a few don't agree. What do you all think?

TheFriskyKitty

Asked by TheFriskyKitty at 2:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pets

• I have two kids ( 2.5 and 4) I also have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 parrots, 2 cockatiels, 1 rabbit, 1 hermit crab and a fish tank. We also foster for a dog rescue group so we have a 4th dog a lot of the time. I can't imagine not having pets around my kids. My kids help with feeding and cleaning (to an age appropriate level) and they love it. They love to walk the dogs with me, help bathe them, playing with the parrots and teaching the foster dogs new tricks. I think that they are both better for having pets in thier lives. The learn compassion, responsibility, and empathy. They have learned about life and death and the fact that some animals are neglected and that love and training , and a warm bed can make them well again. I do have pet hair on the couch and floor, but a vacuum takes care of that everyday. I do have to clean cages as well as the house, but I can't imagine living any other way.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I agree I have three animals myself and have had a lot of animals growing up. For me I think pets teach kids to be more reponsible. And they sure help me get a little relaxed when I'm starting to stress a little. and I love seeing my huskey and son playing with each other my son loves climbing all over my huskey and my huskey dont seem to mind having his ears and fur pulled and hearing my son laugh is so cute.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 3:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• What are you talking about? I mean, is someone suggesting that there should be a law against families having pets? I'm doubting that. I'm typically all for family pets, however, my dog is terrible with my daughter. She knocks her down, licks her, chews her toys. She's really just a pain in the butt. I'd try to find her a family without small children, but my husband loves the dog, so I get to put up with all the chaos.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I love my two dogs. I could never think of getting rid of them. :)
    WeLuvOurNUGGET

Answer by WeLuvOurNUGGET at 3:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• im not a pet friend, but that simply means that i dont want any pets in my household.

our neighbor has a cute little dog. i love that dog and my daughter loves to play with her when we meet them outside. And thats absolutely fine. I know how good they treat the dog and how good they take care of her. BUT after she pat the dog or anything i will make sure to clean her hands.

Yesterday there was a woman on here complaining about their cat being on the changing table. Honestly, i think thats the most disgusting thing i can imagine. I would freak the hell out if there would be a pet on my daughters changing table. And i really hate it when there is animal hair on the furniture or even worse: somewehre what the baby touches and could put in her mouth.

But all this, does NOT mean i hate animals. I hate the mess they make and how unhealthy that is for kids. :-/
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Oh hey Mommyforone I have a husky too!!! As for Tori, your putting words in my mouth.... no further comment, Regards to robertson... It is a good thing you don't live on a farm or a ranch... Because most kids as young as two are often exposed to more than just cats and dogs.... Could you imagine those that think kids being around animals and thinking of the filth of their poo and what not being on a farm? *giggling*
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 3:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I'm sorry if I came off as rude, I guess I'm just too tired. Let me explain.
    You said: "Pets are not that bad, if you don't like them that is fine, but I don't think everyone should not have one cuz a few don't agree."
    I honestly thought there was a post against families having pets. (I wouldn't be surprised, I've been told there should be a law against military families having pets.) I mean people not liking pets doesn't affect whether an animal lover has pets. Anyhow, I went and read some of the recent pet posts, and saw some responses about getting rid of pets because of having children, so I do now understand what you were saying. Sorry if I was putting words in your mouth, I just didn't get what you were saying at first.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• There are some people that think that pets do not belong in the house, yes they do indeed exist.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 4:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• They have found that kids who are around animals have fewer allergies and learn compassion. And I could think of so many other things that are more disgusting than a few hairs on a changing table....geeze.
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 6:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• my daughter isnt around animals.. and still doesnt have any allergies. i never really had a pet and i never had any allergies.

my husband though had pets his whole life, he got allergies...

yeah there are a lot of disgusting things, but animal hair on a changing table where you clean your baby... sorry but for me that has to be a really clean place. another thing is that hair makes me gag. like when i have to clean a hairbrush thats almost too much for me (my mom is the same)... and thats my own hair... so for me its sooo disgusting to think about having animal hair on a changing table. animals shouldnt be in a babys room at all. specially not over their furniture, toys and cloth.

thats my opinion. you dont have to agree with it. but then dont be mad when i dont agree with yours
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2009