Doc Night Question 1 (telling the truth)

truth is relative to the situation. it is worse to tell the truth and cause someone unnecessary pain than to tell a small lie and spare their feelings.

what say you? are all lies morally wrong?

from The Nature of Existence, episode 4.
(the prompt isnt necessarily my own view)

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 2:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• No truth is truth, however you don't have to say every truth you know. Honey, do I look like I have lgained weight? I think you look beautiful.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• The correct answer would be : "A little but, you're still one hot smokin' momma" (big grab & kiss). It satisfies the moral & emotional dilemma.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I don't think the "no" is necessary. She knows she's gained weight. She knows he's lying. She isn't really asking "Have I gained weight?" Like you said, she's really asking "Do you still find me attractive?"
    My husband would have answered with something like "You look HOT to me!"
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• okay lets say if he doesnt answer the question or says yes in any way even if he softens it with how he's still attracted to her, the woman feels like crap & gets upset (and come on...lots of women would).
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I think it's morally wrong to fish for complements knowing someone would have to lie to give you one.

Outside that, I think it's more than a yes/no situation. There is a third option, which is refrain from speaking, or in this case, respond with another question and put the burden back on the one trying to make the husband lie.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• relativism is relativism is relativism. And she may look beautiful to her husband, which wouldn't be a lie, more an evasion
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• i took out the example b/c it seemed to be getting in the way of what im asking.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• Yes, they are still morally wrong, and as I pointed out in my first answer, there is never a situation where you must either lie or hurt someone's feelings. There are always other options. It's just a lot easier to say you had to lie than put the effort into being thoughtful with an answer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• are all lies morally wrong?

No all lies are not morally wrong. If a nazi solider asked someone if they were finding a Jew. It would be morally wrong to lie, and say no.

There is no perfect answer to when a lie is wrong, but if its done to protect yourself or keep yourself from getting into trouble it's almost always wrong. Lies to protect others feelings can be wrong depending on the situation. I don't think it's wrong to lie about how someone looks because so much depends on how this person would handle the truth, and what kind of relationship you have. Weight is very subjective anyway.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• It's always morally better to be truthful, but not when it could humiliate another person.
    Now, personally, the question "have I gained weight?" Seems like cheap fishing for compliments. I have a scale, which I use every day, I'm perfectly aware if I gain weight or not, I don't have to put my DH in the uncomfortable position of having to find a diplomatic answer. And that goes for everything else. I don't ask people to rate my clothes, house, cooking, etc. I think it's tacky.
    But if you find yourself in the position of having to give an opinion and you know it's not what the person wants to hear, I think there's always a way to avoid being truthful without lying.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2012