Preschool teacher fired for "living in sin"

Few things to remember - she is NOT a pastor, so the exception to equal opportunity employment laws that only applies to ordained clergy does not matter here. The preschool is not in her home, and there is no way or reason for her students to know anything about her living situation, including whether or not her fiance lives at her house or a different house.

Lawsuit claims WR church fired woman because she was ‘living in sin’.  

Atkinson claims that before she received those letters, she was called into a meeting, during which church officials questioned her relationship with her fiance, her sex life and why she was not married, according to the complaint. Atkinson informed church officials that she could not marry her fiance because she needed financial help to resolve legal issues with her ex-husband, the complaint states.

After asking Atkinson whether she was being a good Christian and what she planned to do about living in sin, a church official gave her the name of an attorney -- and later more legal contacts -- to help with her divorce proceedings, the complaint states. When the attorney was unwilling to assist her, Atkinson met again with the church official, telling him she felt she was being discriminated against based on religion, the complaint states.

More at the link above.

Will she win?  Will this be resolved without taking it as high as the SCOTUS?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I'm not an attorney so I don't know whether she will win. But common sense should tell a women who is living with/having sex with her fiancee that a church is not a great place for her to work. I send my son to our church's preschool and not all of the teachers there are members of our church, but I would be highly upset and would take my child out of the school if I found out my son's teacher were having sex with someone other than her husband. If the church leaders found out about her sexual activities, then it's a sure bet that some of the students parents could find out.

Answer by missanc at 3:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• If the church leaders found out about her sexual activities, then it's a sure bet that some of the students parents could find out.

Are you suggesting her students are going to sit her down and interrogate her about her sex life like her employer did?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I wouldn't care you my kids preschool teacher was living with, if I liked the way the taught the kids. However if she signed a morality clause that covered this the school is within their rights. It doesn't matter what her job description is.

Where I live they can require nicotine testing on anyone and if you've been smoking you lose your job, doesn't matter if you smoked that cigarette at home after hours. This applies to long time employees not just knew hires.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• hmm...why arent they upset that shes divorced? isnt that a sin too? and is she living with her fiancee? cause the article never stated either way.

so long as the teacher didnt sign a morality contract and she isnt telling the students about her sexual life, i dont see how its any of the church's business. if she worked at a non-Christian company she would win, and since she wasnt working for the church in a clergical function, she should win.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• " I would be highly upset and would take my child out of the school if I found out my son's teacher were having sex with someone other than her husband."

would you take your kid out for other sins...like her divorce, or maybe shes a crazy partier on the weekends and gets blind drunk, maybe outside of school she curses like a sailor or has lots of speeding tickets or is a chronic liar. gees, why is the focus always so harsh on sexual sins but the rest is all under the rug & no big deal?!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• It certainly sounds like she has a pretty good case, and I hope she does win. She's a preschool teacher, she didn't flaunt her living situation for students, parents, and the whole church to know. It's none of their business. And even if parents found out, what business is it of theirs? I don't know all the details of her personal life, but it sounds like she had issues with her ex... that's no reason to fire someone, or to judge them for what some might define as "living in sin".
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• "Are you suggesting her students are going to sit her down and interrogate her about her sex life like her employer did?"

Of course not - they're preschoolers. But if she doesn't agree with that stance of the church, then what other church things does she disagree with? If my child asks her a question about God or Jesus, I want her living a life that at least outwardly gives me confidence in what she will tell him. And if there were a similar situation in my child's preschool, I would yank him out so fast it would make your head spin. I am confident that most of the other parents would follow suit. Not that we would be mean to the lady or even dismissive of her, we would love her and let her know that, but I will not allow my young child(ren) to be around people in the church that lead lifestyles I don't agree with. Those are the people that should show my children the example of a Godly life.

Answer by missanc at 3:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• Not that we would be mean to the lady or even dismissive of her,

No, you'd just try to get her fired by removing the school's daycare income eye rolling

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I'm trying to figure out how living with your fiance while trying to come up with the money to resolve legal issues with your ex so that you can finally marry your fiance and live in happiness is a sin. Would it be better that they sneak around, fucking each other in the back seat of their car in the parking lot? I'm confused....

Btw... if the Monsignor at a Catholic church in a very conservative diocese had very little to say about the fact that when engaged, dh and I not only were living in sin, but conceived a child out of wedlock, I don't see why the church in the OP (a Baptist church, right?) had such an issue with this woman.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• The church needs to be more specific when they hire their teachers what their moral conduct should be before hiring them. If nothing else, they should have laid her off with a severance rather than fire her over something they did not require up front.

I hope she has a good chance of winning.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2012