Power of CPS and the government involvement in parenting....

I have recently been dealing with some stuff on the topic as well seen alot of things regarding CPS lately. It got me wondering what do you ladies think? When it involves the protection of children How far is to far? Is there a to far? When should they butt out and when should they step in? Under what circumstances should they be able to remove children from homes? Is there a point where some times being to strict or to cautious could be counter productive? I mean thinking about it logically there are a number of stories where they make mistakes remove kids for no good reason. Could this be more detrimental? What of the strife caused to the family or the hardship on the children. Should there be a set mandate for when it is acceptable or not to break up a family? and What if there is a mistake made what if a family is disrupted and later found the concerns were not warranted? Should there be punishments for the workers involved or compensation for the families it harm? When does parenting cease to be individualized and when is it controlled or should be controlled by the government? If you are unjustly accused should you fight or roll with it? What do you think and what would you do if it was you?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Though yes that is true dull. However my concern is solely on how much damage gets caused while trying to prevent where there may not other wise be damage. I am using my case only as an example but google it you'll find thousands as well as hundreds where children have been taken from an undangerous situation and placed in a dangerous one just because these people were cleared and thought to be good. My thoughts are more to protecting all the children who this hurts.I knew that CPS would bother parents who didn't deserve it before but I always believed as long as there was nothing there they would never take the children until it happened to me. So how many people will it have to happen to before the broken system is fixed and repaired.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• Our family has recently had a deal with CPS. We decided after many discussions, attempts to help change the situation, that my dd's 4 children should be removed from her care. My ds and his wife took the kids then called CPS to get temp custody to get them in school and to be able to take them to the dr. Of course my dd says we had no reason to take the kids, she blames me for all this. Honestly I just couldn't let the kids stay in that situation any longer, I had been trying to help for years, just taking the kids for a day or two or a week or two, sometimes a month or more, then she'd come take them back. The kids were cry to me and beg me to come get them. There were ligit reasons for her kids to be taken. She says there are not. She is able to go visit them at her brother's house anytime. She is not allowed to take them anywhere, she is in a drug treatment program, she has random drug tests....etc....but (continued)
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 8:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• now that they have went to court twice, and gave my son and dil custody, they seem to have backed out of the whole thing. My son and dil don't know what to do next. I mean my dd even doesn't know what kind of process she has to go through to get her kids back. She doesn't know what they are expecting. It's like they just gave custody to her brother and now think the situation is solved. Well my ds and dil don't necessarily want to raise her 4 kids, they have 3 of their own. We would all like my dd to be able to get them back and be able to take care of them. So now my dd, ds, and dil are forming a better relationship and are hoping to work together for the kids. That is great, but my dd has disowned me! She won't speak to me, she has told the kids not to trust me! So I'm not sure CPS even helped at all....This system does not work like it should I know that....and is no help when your really reaching out and asking fo rhelp.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 8:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2012

• CPS workers are mandated to follows the laws our elected officials make. Those laws include a long list of administrative rules that details the policies and procedures that workers are required to abide by. It might seem like there is a lot of wiggle room to decide whether or not they should investigate and how they might proceed but there really isn't.

I think we've got a mediocre (at best) system trying to deal with and extremely complicated problem. All in all, i think CPS helps more children than they hurt but I'm not really sure thats good enough for me.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• I have no issues with CPS. I have never had a call of concern made about me or my home. But I would gladly welcome any case worker into my home. If there is a concern of course I want them to investigate. As it is I am in no way worried that case workers decide the fate of my child. Social workers do not have that much power. Judges and law enforcement make the decisions about removal. Not social workers.
    Anonymous

• Judges and law enforcement make the decisions about removal.

Based on the recommendations of a social worker who is human. That means that on they day they visit your home they may be:
    hung over
    going through a nasty break up
    stressed because they have more visits to make than time to make them
    offended by a religious symbol in your home
    offended by a political sign in your yard
    offended by your sexual orientation
    prejudiced against homeschooling, extended breast feeding (or formula feeding), juice, pop tarts or Nickelodeon
    confused about which home visit out of 2 people with similar names went with the mold problem
    lazy and burned out on the job

Or any of dozens of other things which can result in a judge having a very wrong impression.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• Being a foster parent for 8 years I saw many kids come and go for various reasons. One thing remained constant. The police were first involved almost 90% of the time. If they arrest/investigate the parents then many times there is no one who can step up at that time to take the children as it's often after midnight that this happens and mom/dad don't cooperate with them regarding contacts. Often times the children would go to live with grandparents, aunts, uncles a few days later after they were cleared if they could find them. You have to remember that for many family members it's hard to tell your daughter that NO you can't see your kids when ever you want or take them just because I'm your mom. They have to make sure that they're not going from the pot into the fire.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• I think it's a flawed system and needs to be fixed. I am for restitution and/or firing someone who has broken up a family for no reason.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• As a social worker these answers crack me up, sort of. Sad how so many do not understand our system and are just flat out not informed. Baconbits does have the experience and informed awareness. CPS is needed and the reality is we need a system in place to protect children. It is flawed, just not in any way written here so far. I have experience with CPS but do not work for them now. I equally have frustrations but not because children have been wrongly removed. More from cases not being opened from the intake person's inability to correctly relay the information I provide. This is a very specific concern for a specific agency. Not necessarily an issue in every county across this country. And we don't have much pull with judges. You give way too much power to a case worker position. We have zero authority.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2012

• I think that there should be consequences for people who make malicious and unfounded reports to CPS. Just think how much time and resources they waste ... They would be prosecuted for wasting police time if they made false accusations about someone, why are they not prosecuted for wasting CPS time?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2012