Power of CPS and the government involvement in parenting....

I have recently been dealing with some stuff on the topic as well seen alot of things regarding CPS lately. It got me wondering what do you ladies think? When it involves the protection of children How far is to far? Is there a to far? When should they butt out and when should they step in? Under what circumstances should they be able to remove children from homes? Is there a point where some times being to strict or to cautious could be counter productive? I mean thinking about it logically there are a number of stories where they make mistakes remove kids for no good reason. Could this be more detrimental? What of the strife caused to the family or the hardship on the children. Should there be a set mandate for when it is acceptable or not to break up a family? and What if there is a mistake made what if a family is disrupted and later found the concerns were not warranted? Should there be punishments for the workers involved or compensation for the families it harm? When does parenting cease to be individualized and when is it controlled or should be controlled by the government? If you are unjustly accused should you fight or roll with it? What do you think and what would you do if it was you?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• CPS should be involved in abuse, neglect, filth, dangerous living conditions, sexual abuse, medical and dental neglect, drug use, excessive alcohol use, etc.

CPS should not be involved in unabusive spanking ( if the parent chooses), being poor, ocassional alcohol use, etc.

It should not be government funded IMO, it should be by donations... they make entirely too much money and some are very corrupted.
    Lovemyfamilyof8

Answer by Lovemyfamilyof8 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• Exactly NP thank you
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• Not solely just because CPS just wanted to have some fun messing with him.

I don't think anyone has suggested it's a case of CPS doing it for kicks. The issue is it only takes one person, and that one person, if twisted enough, can be enough for a CPS worker to tell the judge, and law enforcement, and everyone else, that a child is in danger when he's not. The same applies if the CPS worker is an alcoholic who can't be assed to show up for an inspection and fakes it, because who are they going to believe, the parent who lost custody or the CPS worker whose been there for 12 years? Or the CPS worker who brings something personal into their evaluation. It's not just "not a foolproof" system, it's a broken system.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

• Interesting thing is my kids were not even home that day and my FB even said they were at my moms so how is it they can use that crap? Simple they don't even need any proof of their BS claims. THey can use any thing they want to and it doesn't even have to be used accurately. The only person who spoke to CPS who said any thing negative about me was the school nurse who claims my kids always had dirty claims and were not bathed, Meanwhile my kids doctor and er doctor and their teachers and daycare as well as any one else who knows them told CPS my kids hygiene has always been above par and that their clothes were always clean yet CPS clunge to the one and only person who said other wise.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• frog Again sorry but you obviously have never been to one of these courts cases. CPS doesn't even have to provide proof of claims unless they move to sever a parents rights which that process wont start for a yr minimal after the kids are removed. At that point and that point only do they need to provide any proof of claims. The CPS worker who started my claims says she has 8 reports saying I drank around my kids that's hilarious from who. I only have two friends who ever come to my home they both have not spoken to CPS and they both know when I drink my kids are not home. My family knows my kids are not home because they watch them. So where did they get this so called information when my attorney asked in the court room they said confidential the judge they don't need to provide sources at this time. After sopena the documents we found out they got this off birth day party pics of my friends bday party on my FB
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• winter I agree sadly false reporting is the biggest thing hurting me here. My MIL has made false CPS reports against s since we had our dd we dsid not think they would ever affect us because every time CPS showed up they dismissed they claim and closed the case however the ammount of reports against us proven wrong or not is a huge reason why they chose to do what they did according to them. However who really knows I do know the case worker in my case who took my kids has the highest rate of removals in her office she is the pickiest case worker they have and the most up tight. I just got a new case worker thank god she thinks my case is ridiculous She is already going to work on reunification and she does not agree with the dission for removal. So our next court she is petitioning for the reunification process to be started and for my other worker to be evaluated due to false removal.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• frogdawg. Maybe that's true where you are it is not where I am sorry. The judge had no interest at alll in the evidence and witnesses I brought with me for which I had mounds. No she was only interested in what CPS had to say not me in the slightest. I brought in my kids medical records, my medical records ( because they tried saying due to my back and depression I could not care for my kids) my dd prior school records pictures of my home that were date/time stamped as well as witness statement from a neighbor friend and yes a cop who came through my home the day the cps worker did. All this proof showed that CPS was in the wrong and sorry there have been many stories where CPS took kids when they shouldn't do so. Point of the matter is I dot my ii's and cross my t's and made sure to have every thing I needed it didn't help because the judge had no interest in me or my opinion only the case workers, So sorry your wrong
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• baconbits I understand many situations are like that mine was not. What happened in mine was yes cops showed up they said why they were there which was skinned knees and a scratch they them self said it was silly but they must follow up. They came it my house my stuff wad piled in the kitchen sue to getting ready to move it on the patio to bomb the house bug spray was on the floor my cigs on the table though the kids were not home those things are never out when they are. Any way those were the cops concerns they said it could be a safety hazard and said they were not filing a report yet that they'ld be back monday to see if I straightened it ot the know things happened. They told the school nurse who was not happy with the decisions and she called in cps the cops told cps they are not pressing charges it was a situation that was undercontrol cps stepped in any way.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• Anon I don't think you understand how the system with this works hun. First you should know the inicial dicision to remove kids is made by the case workers, Sadly that decisions is made based off a vague book of ideas and a strict idea of house keeping sorry with kids no one would live up to the ideas. It is more or less up to the case workers best judgement ad thinking which could change from case worker to case worker one could be ok with your house the next think you need your kids removed. Then when you go to court the judge does not adress you or ask yo to defend yorself the firswt date. The first date is only to decide if where cps placed the kids now is ok or not, and how often yo get to see your kids. You should also know that unlike criminal court you do not have to be proven unfit or a danger beyond a reasonable doubt. Nope they just have tpo suggest theres a concern and they can use any thing to do so.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2012

• NP in that case there was a family court judge, law enforcement and others making choices based on information they had available. Not solely just because CPS just wanted to have some fun messing with him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2012