Well, as long as women don't suffer discrimination . . .

21st Century . . . really?

Women arrested for praying out loud at a PRAYER WALL.

May as well start shooting young girls for wanting an education.  Oh, right.  That's been done, too.

How does one justify this?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Unfortunately, too many societies throughout the world do not place the same value on female lives as our country does. They are treated like 2nd class citizens, or worse, as property. It's hard to undo centuries of back-assward thinking. I for one am grateful to be an American women, who does not have to fear being treated that way. I'd probably be dead by now if I lived elsewhere.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2012

• I can't read it without a subscription. Can you c&p
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2012

• I agree with mrsmom, I would be dead too in that environment!

Answer by older at 11:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2012

• It's very easy to judge a religion you don't understand. In Judaism men and women pray separately, it's not because women are inferior or second class citizens, it's simply the halachically law. In any orthodox synagogue there's separate seating and just as women cannot go into the men's section, men can't go into the women's section.
    Now, this group- Women of the Wall- don't really have a desire to pray. They simply want to change Orthodox Judaism because they don't agree with it. But instead of attending a synagogue or community they can agree with (like conservative or Reform Judaism) they disrupt prayers at the Western Wall, an Orthodox site, because they don't like it. Should they have a right to do it? Maybe, the Western Wall is still a public place.
    But the laws in Jerusalem against disturbing the peace are harsh, for obvious reason and when any person comes with a belligerent attitude with the purpose of
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Disrupting the events taking place, he/she is disturbing the peace.
    Do I agree with their motivations? No, I don't. I think it's a result of them being sadly ignorant of their own religion. But I can understand that they want to change their community. I just think there are better ways to go about it than becoming confrontational and disrespecting the others praying. I also think that it's unfair to change the beliefs and traditions of others. If they feel it's important for them to wear a Tallis or a yarmulke, then by all means, there are Jewish groups that accept that. Why demand that those who don't wish to change it, change it anyway? Respect is mutual. I wouldn't go into a mosque and stand in front of everybody demanding women should be allowed there uncovered to pray. It's not my right or my place to demand they change their religion to accommodate me.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Oh, and BTW... If a man went to throw a tantrum demanding to pray in the women's section, he would be arrested too.. Why isn't anybody doing anything about the horrible discrimination against men?
    Whether we like it or not, the Israeli government declared the Kotel will be legally following the Orthodox tradition. Why? Simple. Because it's the most all-inclusive and it's how no Jew would be left out from praying at the most sacred place in Judaism. It's precisely non-discriminatory, as Reform, Conservative and Orthodox Jews can pray there without having to violate any religious principle. But if it was following the Reform tradition, Orthodox Jews would have to either go against their religious beliefs or go pray somewhere else. You'd basically telling them that they cannot pray in this sacred place. And the would be prevented from doing this because of what?
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2012

• Thank you Sharon. You have saved me from yet another subscription clogging my email. And thank you for explaining the reasoning, makes sense now. It wasn't just a random are arbitrary thing as hinted at by the op
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2012

• A group of misguided women that were told they're being treated like second class citizens because they have a special area to pray? As I said, men aren't flocking to the women's area demanding "equal treatment".
    What this woman did would be the equivalent of a guest coming into my house and demanding I serve them non-kosher food, because they don't believe in it and they should eat whatever they want. Well, they have no right to demand I violate my religious principles because it makes them uncomfortable. It's my house, I set the rules that apply and anyone coming in has to respect that. Whether these women want it or not, the Kotel is legally Orthodox in order to accommodate everyone. They gave no right to tell a whole lot of people to either change their religious beliefs or leave just do that they can feel "equal" when they're not being treated unequally.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2012

• Oh and discrimination? Here's pictures of wonen praying at the Kotel

http://www.techhouse.org/~dj/kotelwomens.html

There's a picture there of a religious female soldier. Israel is do non-discriminatory against women that they cannot only study, they're just as obligated as the men to go to the Army.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2012

• It's very easy to judge a religion you don't understand.
    ***Here ya go.
    Daily on CM.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2012