If you baby is sick and out of day care we need to pay lime the same for all week?

I am really not agree with the fact like I have to pay the same amount for a week when my baby was really sick and can't be in day care
Can sameoane help me out with the ruls and regulation about this payment
Thank you

merinosu

Asked by merinosu at 7:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it is in a contract or in some rules that you signed that you have to pay, then you have to pay. Most daycares have a clause that says you pay for the whole week, whether your child is there or not, unless they are out every day of that week. It's not fair, I know, but it's what they do. I have never found a daycare or a private sitter who didn't have that requirement, although some may be willing to work with you if you're really desperate and explain your situation. But it would probably be a one time thing, not an every time she's out sick thing.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It should be outlined in your contract. But look at it this way, those providers do this as thier full time job. They plan and budget for not only thier personal lives, but for running the daycare based on the amount of money they make. And it might be one thing if a child is sick, but if it wasn't in the contract that they get paid when a child is not there, how many people do you think would just call whenever they got around to it and not bring thier kids in? I know it doesn't seem fair when you are sitting at home with your sick child to be paying for the daycare, but home daycare providers also have a business to run.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I think that's pretty standard, yes. They're holding the slot for you. It's not like they can run out and get another kid in there for the day to make up for your child being out sick. So yes, I think it's reasonable and to be expected.
    boystimes2

Answer by boystimes2 at 8:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Its the spot they are holding for you. The amt is the same regardless.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Think of it this way. you are paying for someone to be *AVAILABLE* to watch your child. Wether or not you choose to use it (or can use it) does not change the fact that the teacher is still there. And they can not find a drop in to cover your expenses for that one day. If you miss a day of work, you typically get paid for it too.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• What does your contract say? Whatever you signed to, you have to go along with. This honestly is not uncommon. The daycare place is paying enough help and keeping enough supplies on order for X amount of children to be there. If one of the kids doesn't use the day care for a week or two, they would lose money by not charging you because they're staffing and paying themselves for the X amount of kids that they prepared to take care of. Some day cares will even make you pay for an entire year even if you're not going to be using the daycare during the summer and on holidays. Letting people not pay when they're not there really doesn't give them a steady form of income which could leave them over-staffed and losing money.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It will say right in the handbook from the daycare if you are allowed to pay less. Typically the amount isn't changed if your child is sick. I know I always had to pay the same. And usually you sign that you read the handbook when you enroll your child so if you didn't read that then you're SOL.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2009