how do i get my 7mnth old to eat table foods?

Our dr told me that its time for him to start eating table food. Dorian has his two bottom teeth n two top ones are coming in now, but hedoesnt know how to use them yet of course. Every time i try giving him eggs or mashed potatoes....he makes a face and inhales and coughing and sounding like he's choking. I think its cuz hes used to just inhaling his milk or baby food but i dont know wut to do to get him to eat table food. Any suggestions?

jami3l3388

Asked by jami3l3388 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son wouldnt eat any foods (baby or table) until he was almost 12 months old. He refused them, no matter how often we tried. There were very few things we could get him to eat before then. His ped said he was strange and to keep trying. After his 12 month visit he just seemed to take off lol. He devoured everything and anything that we put in front of him. I say just keep trying and as long as he's getting enough breast milk and/or formula, he'll be fine and when he's ready he'll get the hang of it :)
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2012

• i would wait on the eggs...jmo he may not like the taste or texture either. my son had a hard time with new textures. just try new things and don't give up. he'll eventually get it :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Foods like cheerios melt as they are being chewed.

You need to give very soft tiny pieces of soft foods - banana, avocado, squash, sweet potato.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• It's a little on the early side for that. All he really needs is breastmilk or formula yet. Wait a couple of months.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Most dr.s tell you to start with rice cerial. Make it thin and use formula or breast milk to thin it so it has a similar taste and texture.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Things that "melt" in his mouth like cheerios, teething biscuits, etc. are a good start. It's a new texture and one that may take him some time to get used to. Table foods have a lot more flavor that baby food, so he's probably reacting to that as well. He will get the hang of it.

Answer by missanc at 6:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2012