Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If back child suppot is being payed thought the year, will the taxs still to the X?

paying back child suppot every week, court order. Will my son get his taxs... Because the X keeps asking him to do his taxs so that she can get them. And thinks it is so funny, But you know what I am thinking. I hope everyone understands this I dont know really how to work it..

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • It may be different in different states, but in NY if support is being paid they don't take the taxes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • if he still owes back support than yes it can be taken out of his taxes.

    Answer by jodi205 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • If he owes back child support he SHOULD give her the check. Whether it is done forcibly or not. It's for the child. And he owes it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • you are rigth he does owe it and he wants too, but he dont owe much it is less them $1500.00 and she told him she want to go get her hair done and get a tan, so she told him to hurry and get them done.. My son buys all the cloths and anything that the kids need and has kids on the weekends too. That is why we are hoping maybe she will not get it... If it was not for that all I would not even be asking, Oh I did the daycare too so she dont pay that also... We live in michigan...

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • If he's gotten a letter saying they will take tax refunds to make past due support current, then yes, they will take his refund to give to her, even if he is paying her thru the yr. Now, while I don't agree with what she wants to do with that money, I do have to say that he does owe it, so whether it comes from them taking it or from him willingly handing it to her, I think he should give it to her. The quicker he catches up, the quicker they can't take it anymore.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 10:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • My ex still gets his taxes taken (to the state) even though he is making payments on the back support.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 11:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • In Missouri they take the taxes weather you are paying the arrears or not. If it is owed at the time your taxes are filed they will take it till it is payed in full.

    Answer by mjnatkait2 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • If he is paying back support then yes they will take it. When he gets caught up you won't have to worry about it. The X still has to feed, clothe and house the child on their own when her X was being a dead beat. She deserve the money owed to her and the state deserves what they paid out because he could not be bothered to pay.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

  • If you are on his taxes as spouse they cannot touch your part of the return, you need a tax attorney or a professional tax preparer. They call it "injured spouse"

    Answer by romanceparty4u at 8:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • stop paying for everything and stick with the support ordered or get it mofityed

    Answer by Synaura at 11:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.