My kid wants back child support. We never filed. She is in her 20's now she feels he owes her. Is it possible?

W3rkngMom

Asked by W3rkngMom at 4:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have heard of this or a grown child taking the noncustodial parent to court for back support. Not sure if it would work...but technically the back support is due to the mother not the child. The mother paid the absent parents part of raising the child, so the money should be hers.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 4:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• IF you had filed and he had not paid, then yes. I've never heard of anyone getting it when there wasn't a prior court order
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• No
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 4:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Roby, if they never filed there is nothing to get. So she is not entitled to anything.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 4:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• nope
    you never filed with court for support, so nothing to collect

can grown child ask her father for some $ help?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• I don't think so. I have an order, and my ex doesn't pay. From what I understand, when my sons are grown, they can go in and try to get it from him (and yes, I know that it will be an issue then - he owes $24K, so it's clear he won't pay), because there's an order and it's owed to them. But if you didn't file and get an order, then technically he doesn't owe her anything. And now that she's an adult, in theory she should be financially responsible for herself, so she won't get an order for support now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• No, since there was never an order filed, she cannot get it now. Child support is to help raise a child, she's already raised.

Answer by missanc at 6:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• I wouldn't think so
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Let it go. Shes old enough to support herself now.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• I appreciate everyone's response. I have tried to explain that to her unfortunately, some "young" mother has her head pumpkin sized and she believes this is possible because he OWES her LOL!!! Thank you all so very much!
    W3rkngMom

Comment by W3rkngMom (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2012