Hair Stylists

What do you look for in a stylist? I just moved and I am terrified of going through the search again. It seems like by the time I find the perfect match for me I move again (military). I need my hair cut badly but I can't bring myself to pick a place/person to try. Hopefully, seeing the qualities you all look for will help me in my searches.

cat1622

Asked by cat1622 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• Coming from a hairdresser, I can tell you this: look around, find someone with a good cut, similar to yours, and ask her how she likes her stylist. If she's happy, get the stylist's #...make appointment for consultation, then if you feel confident after your discussion, make appointment for a trim.
    Never get a totally new look on your first visit. Allow the trim to work for you, first. Think of it as 'first base'.
    A new stylist should take time to hear your words, not talk over you, or be distracted by salon goings-on. If you feel rushed or uncomfortable, leave, and try again.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Certification.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• LOL, take dull's advice! That's exactly what I did. I live about an hour away from Carbondale, IL. I was over there shopping one day and saw a stylist in the window who had the exact hair color I wanted. I went in and talked to her, which led to me getting my hair done then and there. I've been going to her every since!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Anyone can get certified, Sarah. Doesn't mean anything other than they studied their books and passed a general test.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Ask people who have good haircuts, read Yelp reviews, and keep an open mind. I've accidentally found some good stylists in some of the smallest and plain looking places. I've gone to the fancy places and have gotten unimpressive cuts for way higher prices.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I look for her attention - and that she doesn't rush when doing my hair .... I had someone do my hair a few months ago (I had never been to that Salon before) and she must have answered her cell phone 3-4 times - while cutting my hair!!!! AAAAHHHHH .....that was a total turn-off - plus she was talking to the stylist working next to us more than to me - Not cool at all! So, I probably will never go back to her again. ....So, my answer is: attentiveness !!!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2012