Constant Itching

One of my dogs is allergic to fleas. We've never had a flea issue before so we weren't aware. She's had
the itches" from other allergies before but we just moved to a new house and apparently we moved into fleas. We took her to the vet and we were given antibiotics for the sores and steroids for the allergy. We had to stop the meds because it made her urinate on herself.

Does anyone have any home/natural remedy I can use to help her stop itching so much? She doesn't have sores again yet and I would really like to relieve her of the itches before it comes to that again.

cat1622

Asked by cat1622 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2012 in Pets

• My Pomeranian has extremely sensitive skin and if she gets a flea bite - she scratches insistently --- the BEST product out there for that is called "Sulfa-dine" for "Hot Spots" ...it is soothing to them and healing - I would recommend you give that a try. Good luck!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2012

• is it an allergy or fleas bites that are making her itch??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Benadryl 25mg works on dogs also. I used to give it to my scottie. Call your vet and see if that would be okay.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• We've ALMOST gotten rid of them. My husband sprayed the yard and the house. We put stuff where there is carpet to kill the eggs etc. but it takes a long time to make sure you got all of them so I can't say they are gone gone but it is a lot better. My husband was giving her benadryl before taking her to the vet but it wasn't doing anything for her, which is why we made the trip to the vet to see what else to do.
    cat1622

Comment by cat1622 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Google "Garlic, dogs, fleas"
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2012

• Cortisone cream can be used on pets. Consult your vet before using anything to ensure there is no negative interaction with existing medications

http://www.vetinfo.com/cortisone-cream-for-dogs.html

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Skin-Itch-Homeopathic-Remedy/999252.aspx

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2012

• You should discuss the situation with a vet so that they can recommend something that you can use. Good luck
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2012