How to get RID of meal moths? (Pantry Moths)

Hello, up tell yesterday I didn't realize that they're really two kinds of moths that can invade your house. I have been trying to get rid of these moths that keep getting into my pantry.. Every time we think we have them gone.. a week or two later their back.. We have done moth balls sticky traps for flys.. Cleaning the pantry countless times.. HELP PLEASE! I don't want to have to keep throwing out boxed food etc.. If any of you have some thing that has worked I would love to try it..

Thank You

MOTH CRAZY MOM

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I know you have to remove their food source, vaccum out the cabinets, and then wipe them down, they can come from the store and already be in your flour, pasta, nuts or any number of products when you buy it, if you are having a recurring problem, then either the store you are buying your food from has a problem or you aren't getting all the food that's contaminated in your house, they also love pet foods if they can't find anything in your cabinet....I always keep flour in plastic containers, put pasta in zip loc bags and make sure all my other food that they will like is sealed air tight, invest in some plastic containers for your cereals, flours, breadings, keep any pet food out of the kitchen and good luck.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I threw out all dry goods in the pantry- I hated doing it, but it had to be done. Actually I put a few boxes in sealed plastic bags, but first I opened the boxes and checked carefully to make sure they were clear of infestation, and I didn't put these back in the pantry. They I washed the shelves carefully- the entire cabinet inside- with household cleaner and threw out the liners. Then I wiped down the canned and bottled goods with cleaning solution. Then I sprayed with bug spray and let it dry thoroughly. I now am very careful to rotate my dried goods- use the oldest first. I keep fewer boxes and bags of pasta, cake mixes, flours, than I used to. I keep flour and sugar in their bags in a sealed plastic bag. Including boxes of spagetti. Cat food in a sealed tin. toss out dried flowers, and any noodle art that the kids have brought home or other flour based craft project like cookies for the tree.

Answer by Bmat at 10:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• You have to dump it all, it's the only way. When you start to restock it, put all sugar and flour in your freezer for 3 days, then move it to your pantry. The only way it will ever be infested is if there's something else in your pantry that is infested. Technically, you could do that with everything you bring home - pasta, cereal and all, and none of it would ever be a risk. Also, check the dates on all drygoods you buy. Stores have gotten very lazy lately about expiration dates on dry goods, and I've even read about people bringing things to the service desk that are expired and then seeing it put back on the shelves.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Okay, first the bad news - the eggs for the moths are already in flour, rice & cornmeal when you bring them home and they hatch out in your foods. They can even be in your breakfast cereal. Yes, I know, ewwwww!

Now the good news - to keep them from hatching out, freeze or refrigerate rice, flour and cornmeal for 3 days when you bring them home, or just store them in the freezer or refrigerator (this will keep them fresher longer, too). Also, always check the expiration dates on the products you buy to make sure they are not nearly or already expired, and always use up products by their dates.

If you currently have an infestation, you can buy traps or make your own to catch the adults to prevent them from breeding, then empty all cupboards & cabinets and check everything for webs, larvae or moths & vacuum them up (they like dark spaces best). Then wipe everything down w/a vinegar solution & leave to air dry.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2009