Does any have or have had an IUD?

my and my SO talked about birth controls and decided that this would be the best one for me. did anyone have any good/bad experiences with the IUD. im thinking bout mirena

JuJu_Bean

Asked by JuJu_Bean at 9:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have the Mirena IUD, I had it inserted in October and haven't had anything bad happen. I have completely stopped having periods now which is great. It gives my husband and I the ability to be spontaneous.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 9:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I got the Mirena IUD put in in June and I love it. I have very short periods know with very few cramps. It is the best decision I have ever made about birth control.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 9:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I'm glad you asked...I've been considering it too because my SO is out of state for work most of the year and I don't want to go on the pill all the time if I don't need it...he hates condoms...this would be something neither of us have to think about. My biggest question was whether or not the insertion hurt?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I have the paraguard. My body doesn't do well with synthetic hormones so I went with the hormone free version. I also like that it lasts 10 years as opposed to five. The insertion was uncomfortable but not painful. This is my second IUD and the first one was between babies 1 and 2. I had no problems with that one either and conceived DD within 48 hours of removal. I think it is great birth control. The risks sound scary, but the odds of them actually happening are really low and about the same as the odds of having a serious complication like a stroke from hormonal BC's, both are rare side effects and I don't really worry about it.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I have had Mirena for a year. I love it. I haven't stopped having periods like Klousmomi,. My periods are lighter and I'll only have a crampy one about 3 times a year. I wouldn't recommend anything else. I'm so forgetful about pills that it's probably the best birth control ever for me. The placement of it was uncomfortable and it felt like you were having cramps for about a day afterwards. If you've had a kid, then you can definitely handle this sort of feeling. It's totally worth it.
    Mom2vanna

Answer by Mom2vanna at 11:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• thanks mommies. i was kinda nervous about it at first with all the possible side efffects but some of the other forms of bc are worse. i thought the insertion mite hurt but i guess i'll jus have to wait and see. one plus for me was that the iud works better if u've had a child. the other forms of bc work less.
    JuJu_Bean

Answer by JuJu_Bean at 2:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009