does any one know when a puppy can get there rabies shots?

we had to get rid of our rottie due to circumstances beyond our control and our son was really sad so we got him a new little puppy last night.. she is 6 weeks old .. we are techincally supposed toget her registered with in her first week here but she cannot get registered until she gets her rabies shot,does any one know when she can get her shots and her deworming?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pets

• Most Vets, including myself, will not do the rabies vaccine prior to 12 weeks of age. I refuse to vaccinate some breeds, in particular giant breeds, until they are 1 year of age. Some breeds are predisposed to vaccine related HOD (a painful, non-correctable bone disorder). I also do not recommend Lepto in vaccines on dogs under 1 year unless you are in a Lepto epidemic area. Lepto is from icteric pigs. What are you registering puppy for, that the vaccine has to be done.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 10:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Contact your vet about the de-worming and shots, my vet dosen't give rabies till they are 6 months old, but check with yours about what you should do.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Usually puppies get a first set of shots around 6-8 weeks then go back for a second set of shots 3 weeks later . I think that is when they get their rabie shot !
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• When I got my dog, I called to find out about getting a rabies shot, and they said he had to be at least 12 weeks old.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Sorry, I hit submit too soon...lol. I'd say call your vet, since we all get different answers depending on who we talk to.
    tropicalmama

• Our vet gave our dogs shots at four to six weeks. The vet here wants to see them to remove thier doo claws. It is really not necessary to remove them, they will fall off in a little while. It is a waste of money to do that so soon. I just take mine in at four weeks and get the shots. They will worm them at that time too. Get a record of thier visit so you can give it to the person who might receive one of the pups. When you have registered puppies you have to do that. Good Luck and God Bless. Vicki
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2009