should my 8mo..

Throw fits the way he does? When we won't pick him up, he will scream so loud, and pull at his hair, and scratch his face. It's awful. I can't hold him every second of the day, but I can't stand to see him do those things to himself. My cousin has a 9mo and he doesn't do anything near as bad as mine, he cries for a second, and then gets distracted by something. Why does he do this? What should I do about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like he's doing this because you have always gone right to him when he starts to cry and he's gotten usto it, so now he's trained you...You can start retraining this behavior...when he starts to fuss and wants picked up, go and reassure him, give him a toy, but don't pick him up, you will probably have to do this several times untill he gets the message it will be hard at first and will take time because you will reassure him that he's ok and can play on his own.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Kids don't get trained. They aren't animals. At this age I would pick him up and comfort him. He is still too little to really entertain himself. Some kids are more needy than others. Some children are fine by themselves and some need constant holding and stimulation. If your arms are tired then play with him on the floor. It will get better as he gets older and is walking and such.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• When Janalee was about a yr old she would throw tantrums till she turned blue in the face, and passed out. Iiterally, at first this was very scary and off course I would coddle. Then it became a habit, (very annoyiny) After talking to the doctor about it. Remember youngest of six......NEVER HAD one do this before. The doctor told me that she is fine, just let her have her moment, making sure not to injure herself, and ignore her....Well that is what we did. It took f'n 3 weeks before she figured out, that was not working anymore for her, but she did. I am with Indianamom. Nip this in the but now!
    mamakopac

Answer by mamakopac at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I am with the two that said ingnore the child as long as they are not going to hurt themselves let them do what they are going to do...it will be hard on you at first cause a mother's instinct is to pick them and make them feel better...but if you encourage this behavior now it will get worse as they get older
    Anonymous