Why would my doctor have me switch?

I had my daughter and after that I was up and down with emotions so he put me on an antidepression, he was my gyno but told me to make sure I switch to my family doctor to prescribe me this from now on, after I had my daughter. Why?

I didn't ask I just did. Just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Health

• Because he is a gyno. They deal with reproductive and sexual health, not mental health. Family doctors often deal with mental health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Probably because it isn't a gyno's task to monitor depression. The gyno deals with problems (or caring for) the female organs. Your family doctor can deal with a range of problems, and may refer you to a specialist if necessary. It is a good thing to have a family doctor who will keep an eye on your general health.

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2009