When i had my first daughter i took the epidural. I really disliked it a lot cause i wasn't able to walk around or go to the bathroom. With my second pregnancy i really wanted to go all natural. But i don't know what to expect since i took the epidural the first time. Are there any women out there that have done the epidural the first time but not the second?

poisongurl

Asked by poisongurl at 9:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did it this way...with my first I was swollen and had more problems like not even being able to go to the bathroom on my own bc I had an epidural and my sweet baby put pressure on me and everything got swollen...so I had to do ice sitz baths for a week! With the 2nd I didn't have an epidural and had no problems, the delivery went faster, I only had one stitch, didn't have any swelling and could actually feel when I needed to push, it was soooooo much better with out it.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Well, I had the epi the first time and I chose to get it the second time. However it didn't take the second time and I felt it all. Talk about excruciating pain!! I was in labor for 23 hours and pushed for 6 and he got stuck in the birth canal and had to be pulled out with the vacuum. After he was born though, it all went away. I was numbed down below to be stitched up and that was it. Yeah the pain was almost unbearable but I was so surprised at how quickly the pain went away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My first child was a vaginal birth w/o epi. You probably don't want to know the details of how it went LOL --- let's just say it was a nightmare.

That's NOT to say I think you should just get the epi ---- on the contrary, I'm very against them for several reasons (to the point that I opted for general anesthesia for all 3 of my Csections).

For me, it was a horrific experience --- but I had a few things working against me. Long story short: 3 days of labor, lost count of how many hours pushing, he was turned wrong, I didn't dialate right, got an episiotomy, forceps delivery, shoulder dystocia.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Don't try to be a super woman. unless you have very HIGH tolerance for PAIN!!!  GLgood luck

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• OMG. Is that the ONLY response you have to epidural posts. You drive me nuts.

OP please, please, please ignore Butterfly. It has nothing to do with being "superwomen", every women in the world CAN birth naturally (barring complications) they just chose not to or have things working against them, such as a hospital setting.

I went epi free with my first, but it wasn't a natural birth. I am doing a home birth this time and pain meds aren't even an option. The question is, what do you want? Just no epi? Or no pain meds? IV medication will pass through the placenta and drug the baby, so there is a lot to think about. There are also tons of risks with the Epi.

If a natural birth is what you want, it's what you will get. Read "birthing from within" it's a great book. Even get a book on hypnobirthing.. just look on amazon. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is very very helpful and informative.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• caleb
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Don't listen to the horror stories. Learn some pain management techniques. I have been in labor 2 times (first time 31 hours, and second time 26 hours) without meds. I wouldn't take the meds because I didn't want anything making my baby sleepy. I mean jeez women did this without meds for forever! I ended up with c-sections because of dumb doctors, and I didn't know better, or know that I had the right to refuse anything. The best way I managed pain was to be up moving around freely while in labor. Just lying in bed will kill ya.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i went natural the second time, i did not like it at all. with the third, i had the epidural, it was much better. good luck on your decision.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• you CAN do it mama! MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of women did it before you before there every were drugs for labor and they did just fine, they found other natural ways of dealing with the discomforts of labor....there are SO many things you can do, you can get up OUT of the bed and make sure you are moving around in labor, that helps ALOT!
    Do your research mama, read up on natural childbirth and learn about pain coping techniques...maybe even look into hypnobirthing, it worked pretty well for me :) www.hypnobirthing.com
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• and I agree, it has NOTHING to do with being a "superwoman" its about doing whats safest for your baby...
    But you want to talk about something that will make you feel fantastic???
    Think about the feeling you will have if you birth your baby with no medications that can cross the placenta and have an adverse affect on your baby? Think of how empowered you will feel when you birth your child into this world the way millions of women before you have? Its an incredible feeling!
    OH, and yeah, ive had an epi before and preferred my unmedicated birth!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2009