Discipline help?

My wonderful well behaved 2 almost 3 year old is giving me some issues. ALWAYS at naptime and bedtime. She is well behaved all day and when it's time for the diaper and bed she runs away, kicks (not to hurt, she thinks it's a game) shakes her whole body so I can't get the diaper or pj pants on her. WE DO NOT SPANK. Serves no purpose. However, she thinks time outs are funny, any other time of day it's the end of the world if she gets one, so I know they work. And if you say, you don't want a time out do you she says yes I do. Any other creative idea, besides hitting her? I must say the thought has crossed my mind when she has gotten to my last nerve but I could never go through with it.

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 9:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you put her in time out, stand her in the corner with her nose facing in....and leave her there until she is ready to do what she is told. No time limits. If she's ready to put her pajamas on after 30 seconds...great! If it takes 15 minutes, so be it. But standing, they get tired much quicker...and there's no instant release at the end of a certain amount of time so no instant reward. She can leave time out when she's ready to do what is expected of her.

No threats of time out...just send her. Don't ask if she wants to go into time out, just send her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Do you give her choices at naptime and bedtime? She's at the age of trying to assert her independence, so offer her choices that allow her to do things by her self or with your help. Also, see if she likes to compete against a timer or something to see who can get ready for bed fastest - some kids like to feel they are faster than mom/dad, so this might give her a boost as well in the self-confidence department.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Being that shes almost 3, have you considered that she doesn't need a nap? I m just saying that in regards to my almost 3 yr old son. He hasn't napped since before he turned 2. Just wondering if shes fighting you because shes not really tired. If you tried cutting the nap out, then maybe she would go down at night a lot better. Also do not ask her if she wants a time out. Time out is pointless and its a game. I do like the nose in the corner idea. Its better than time out and much less enjoyable. I wouldnt try to wrangle her down. Just simply get her pjs, diaper and then begin dressing her for bed and then put her in it. She doesn't get a choice about it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It is possible she's ready to drop the nap. Try getting her to have quiet time in her room (with or without you) or to even lay quietly on your bed with you to read. Perhaps the down time will be enough for her. You can always give it a try and combine that with putting her to bed in the evening a half hour earlier.

At night time, try this: make a behaviour chart with pictures of all the things she needs to do to get ready for bed. Let her put a sticker next to each task that she completes and give her a small reward for completing them all without a fuss (such as an extra story before bed or a small stuffed animal (like the ones you get in a Happy Meal at McDonald's or the $ store). Give her a choice of pajamas: you set out two pjs and she choses which one to wear.

Finally, give her transition time. Say 15 minutes before you need her to get ready, tell her: one more game or one more show and then it's time to get ready.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My 2 year was doing that. During diaper time, when she ran from me, I stopped chasing after after her. I would go to another room (within sight) and do my own thing. Within 5 minutes. she was next to me with diaper in hand or settled enought to let me put on diaper without a struggle. Same thing with pajamas. I tell her when she's ready for pajams, let me know and I'll help her or she can put on her own when she's ready. Kids don't like it when they're being ignored or you do something that is unexpected. She expects you to struggle with her everyday.
    Anonymous

• make nap time a special time. After she changes allow her to pick out a book, lye in bed with your daughter and read to her. Let her know after the story she needs to stay in bed, when she wakes up from nap time you will do something special with her. Color, play a game etc. This works for me to get my four year old twins to nap.  I actually fall asleep with them during nap time.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2009