I want to start a garden at home but deer roam our neighbohood

Any suggestions on inexpensive fences or coverings that will keep the deer out? They took bites out of my fake pumpkins on my front porch last fall. I'm watching them roam my back yard as I speak.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2012 in Home & Garden

• We use chicken wire.. It's cheap.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I've seen a garden surrounded by a wire fence and tied to the wire were strips of white cloth, probably an old sheet ripped up. I suppose the white cloth blowing in the wind makes animals nervous and hopefully keeps them away from the garden.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 6:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• We have them too, laying around and not afraid to get close.
    For the garden You can use the garden mesh fencing, just have to make sure its high so they cannot jump over it.

For other areas its use to be if you put anything from human (ie, hair, urine, etc) near where deer roamed they would stay away. Now they are so use to people not sure if it still works.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I live in the woods, and have seen deer sharing the hayrack with my goats and donkey in broad daylight. My final solution for my garden was to build hoop houses out of cattle panels (4x16 foot welded wire), covered with chicken wire. I put down chicken wire for the 'floor' as well, covered it with black plastic and mulch. I let a pair of muscovies hang out in each one and now everything stays out. Deer, squirrels, even mice and snakes (because the muscovies eat them). The added bonus with the ducks is that they don't dig up any plants, but eat any bug they find including spiders. I have five of them built with raised beds in each ~ two feet deep along the sides and a 4'x12' down the center.

Since we eat what I grow, I do what I can to ensure a good harvest. I also have a full pvc irrigation system in place, make compost, etc.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2012

• My sister has that problem. She used chicken wire.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2012

• Research deer resistant plants.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2012

• Fencing options for keeping deer out of a garden may be the most effective deer strategy, but good fencing options are generally not cheap nor easy.
    FENCING:
    Fencing options include wire (eletricified or not) and polypropylene mesh. Installations and types of fencing are explained quite well on this web page: http://deerrepellentpacks.com/types-of-deer-fencing.php
    SPRAY-ONS:
    Most spray-on repellents use smell and or taste to deter deer. Examples include Deer-Out and Liquid Fence. These are sprayed directly on plants and generally require reapplication after a period of time or severe weather.
    FEAR BASED REPELLENTS:
    Another option can be used as a stand alone strategy or in combination with any of the above. Fear Based repellents such as DeerRepellentPacks.com play on a deer's instinctual fear of predators to your advantage through the use of genuine granulated predator urine in a weather resistant pouch.
    coachr

Answer by coachr at 6:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2012