My son is cercumsized(sp) and I was wondering...

because he is cercumsized should'nt I see his "head"? (on his pepe) it looks like its over laps his "head" and I have to pull it back in order to see it. Is this normal? My son is 2 weeks old.

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask your doctor
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• make sure u do pull the skin back it can re attach its self but if there is a ring around the head he is circumcised
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Talk to your ped before you retract it. I know with uncircumcized boys you are not supposed to pull it back and I would just check first before you pull your son's back. It sounds like they left quite a bit of the foreskin behind.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son's does that too. Keep putting the vaseline on it and gently retract it (my doc said to do this). It just sinks into itself when it's cold or what ever. As he grows it should get better. If you retract it you see it right? If not, ask his doc because occasionally it can get reattached if it didn't get enough vaseline on it. In that case it would have to get re-done by a urologist.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son is 8 months old and i was thinking the same thing about his Head recently so when i was at teh pediatrition i asked if it was normal she said it was he will grow into it and make sure you are pulling it back untill so to make sure it is clean and it doesnt stick but every cerc. is different because they have to cut around the vessels on the penis. But if your worried show your pediatrition.
    shames85

Answer by shames85 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• It sounds like they didn't cut enough skin off or it could be reattaching itself which happens pretty often but since it's only been two weeks I would think it would take a bit longer to reattach itself. I would take him to the doctor just to verify. Two boys I've cared for both had issues with their's reattaching and so the parent's would have to pull the skin back and eventually the skin would come off on it's own. It is painful to the child so be prepared.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• On infants, it is hard to tell exactly how much foreskin to remove. It looks like the doctor took off a small amount. Be glad they did not take too much.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Like pp said, it sounds like the doctor did not remove enough foreskin. Because doctors now use a tool to do it, it is a little less accurate. I am sorry to say that he will not grow into it. It is what it is. The skin will grow with penis so it will not change.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I have 3 sons and all are circumsized. The first and youngest were both done by scaple. The middle son was done with the bell technique and all of his foreskin was removed. The other two have skin overlapping b/c not enough was taken off. I've been told that they will out grow this, but my oldest is 6 and no change. Every time they hit a growth spurt, it hurts b/c there is skin attaching itself to the head. I have to retract or have them do it, the skin every night at bath time. If it does not get done, there could be tearing and a build up of gunk.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Leave it alone. Do not pull the skin back. Do not be concerned about how much was cut off...until you speak to the doctor who did it.

There are different types of circumcisions which take off different amounts of skin. Babies also have "fat pads" there which make it difficult sometimes to even see the penis, let alone judge how much skin was taken off.

A circumcised penis is not supposed to have the skin retracted according to our pediatrician. If there is an adhesion, it will be taken care of by itself when they get older. Unless an adhesion is causing some kind of trouble, leave it alone.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2009