I have a sleep study tonight. ever had one?

I go at 9pm for the night. I'll be hooked up to wires while somebody watches me sleep. How can I possibly fall asleep in that environment?

It's for sleep apnea.

So have you had one? Were you able to sleep? Will they let me read before bed, I forgot to ask.

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 10:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2012 in Health

• I have not had one but one of my brother's did. He said it was difficult at first to fall asleep but eventually he did.

Hope all goes well for you.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• Thanks =) I'm a bit nervous. I'm bringing my big huggie pillow, a book, and my earplugs. Hopefully I can manage to sleep.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I once worked for a doctor who did them. I wasn't there for them, but the run down they gave me was that you can read, or do whatever your normal bedtime routine would be (except for TV, but that might have just been that office). They allow for nerves, but no one will actually be sitting in the room watching you sleep. They hook you up to various wires that send info to a computer, and there is a camera in the room that allows them to see you, but you won't see them. Again, this is all how it went at that particular office, so it might vary for you. But it's a basic idea. :)

Good luck!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I've had a couple of them for my Epilepsy.

You do what you would normally do before falling asleep, so if reading helps, then absolutely you can read.
    It was REAL hard falling asleep knowing you're being monitored but eventually you do fall asleep.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• My daughter has.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• I do know it'll be a private room (monitored from another room) and that I'll be hooked up to a lot of stuff. And I'm so glad to know i can read.

This will be so weird... lol.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• It is weird! But look at it as a night off..it's very peaceful :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• Dhe has had a couple and yes he falls asleep
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

• DH had one, he said he barely slept but must have enough because they got enough results to diagnose him.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2012

• I'm back and exhausted. Between the strange room and the wires connected to me I barely slept a wink. To add insult to injury they woke me at 5:30am! I feel horrible and have all this gunk in my hair. Sleeping in a comfortable position was next to impossible with all those wires. What a horrible night.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2012